habitual intoxication; prolonged and excessive intake of alcoholic drinks leading to a breakdown in health and an addiction to alcohol such that abrupt deprivation leads to severe withdrawal symptoms
an intense persistent desire to drink alcoholic beverages to excess
- Excessive drinking induces alcoholism .
- The doctor wrote a treatise on alcoholism.
- I went through alcoholism treatment with Rielly.
- Alcoholism often leads to the alienation of family and friends.
- The doctors correlated alcoholism with severe brain disease.