- n. 惊奇；惊愕；奇迹；奇观
- v. 惊奇；想知道；怀疑
- adj. 奇妙的；非凡的
- vt. & vi. 对…感到疑惑 express a wish to know, in words or silently
- vt. & vi. 想知道; 问自己 feel curiosity; ask oneself
- [U] 惊奇,惊叹,惊异,诧异 a feeling of strangeness, surprise, etc., usually combined with admiration, that is produced by sth unusually fine or beautiful, or by sth unexpected or new to one's experience
- [C] 奇观,奇景,奇迹,奇事 sth that causes this feeling especially a wonderfully made object
- [C] 奇人,奇才 a wonderful person, especially one who is able to do things that need great skill, cleverness, or effort
the feeling aroused by something strange and surprising
something that causes feelings of wonder;
"the wonders of modern science"
a state in which you want to learn more about something
have a wish or desire to know something;
"He wondered who had built this beautiful church"
place in doubt or express doubtful speculation;
"I wonder whether this was the right thing to do"
"she wondered whether it would snow tonight"
be amazed at;
"We marvelled at the child's linguistic abilities"
- There was a look of wonder in his eyes.
- They were filled with wonder at the new waterfall.
- Colour television is realty a wonder.
- It's a wonder that the child came through without a scratch.
- I shouldn't wonder if he wins the prize.
- Do you seriously wonder that she didn't help him?
- I wonder if this picture can be restored.
- I wonder whether you are interested in doing processing business with us.
- I wonder if he will make a good captain.
- I wonder if you have so much time to do so much work.
- We have become explorers and scientists with our need to ask questions and to wonder.
- I was just wondering.
- Jacqueline says she didn't do it, but I still wonder.
- They wondered to see her there.
- I wonder to see him looking so cheerful.
- They waited and wondered what to do.
- I was just wondering how to do it.
- I was wondering how to get there quickly.
- They wondered where to spend the night.
- I was wondering whether to go upstairs or whether to follow Ade to the library.
- I wonder none of you were hurt.
- I wonder he wasn't killed.
- I don't wonder you were anxious about their safety.
- Do you seriously wonder that she didn't help him?
- I wonder what they call these flowers.
- He wondered what his son was doing behind the tree.
- He wondered who she was.
- I wonder how you came to miss your way.
- She wondered why they hadn't given her an answer.
- Let's go home.They'll be wondering where we are.
- I wonder whether they will arrive on time.
- I wonder whether you would mind doing me a favour.
- I wonder sometimes if the English are more sensible than we about marriage.
- I am wondering if you would spend the evening with us.
- I am wondering if I may have a word with you.
- The temple of Diana and the hanging gardens of Babylon were two of the Seven Wonders of the World in ancient times.
- He felt wonder mingled with awe at the Grand Canyon.
- He's a wonder with the way he arranges everything without any help.
- It is a wonder that our teeth are so durable; they never seem to wear down.
- It is a wonder that he was so punctual this morning.
- wonder about (v.+prep.)
想知道; 对…感到奇怪; 考虑 want to know; feel surprised about; consider
wonder about sb/sth/v-ing/wh-clause
I sometimes wonder about my old friend, where she is now and what she's doing.
Do you often wonder about the future of the world?
We were wondering about your being late.
I'm still wondering about taking a further degree.
I often wonder about why she treated me like that.
- wonder at (v.+prep.)
对…感到惊讶〔奇怪〕 feel curious at
wonder at sth
I wonder at her perennial youthfulness.
I used to wonder at their slowness.
I wonder at your rudeness.I have always been so kind to you.
He wondered at her composure in such a crisis.
I don't wonder at her falling asleep in the middle of the play, it was a very uninteresting performance.
A severe winter like this is not to be wondered at, in view of the summer we've had.
That the criminal was caught so quickly is not to be wondered at.
- in wonder
- no wonder
难怪,怪不得 naturally, of course
- with wonder
- wonders will never cease
真是无奇不有 (used for expressing surprise when the opposite of what one expects happens)
- work wonders
创造奇迹,取得惊人的效果 bring unexpectedly good results
- wonder very much 很想知道
- wonder anxiously 焦急地想知道
- wonder blindly 盲目地问自己
- wonder confusedly 慌乱地想知道
- wonder desperately 不顾一切地想知道
- wonder distractedly 发狂地想知道
- wonder gloomily 悲观地问自己
- wonder miserably 痛苦地问自己
- wonder seriously 认真地想知道
- wonder sneeringly 嘲笑地问自己
- wonder uneasily 担心地想知道
- wonder about 想知道,对…感到奇怪,考虑
- wonder at 对…感到惊讶〔奇怪〕
- wonder at one's learning 对某人的学识感到惊讶
- wonder at one's rudeness 对某人的无礼感到惊讶
- wonder at one's shock 对某人的震惊感到惊讶
- natural wonder 自然界的奇观
- for a wonder 说也奇怪,意想不到(的)
- in wonder 在惊奇中,由于惊奇
- look around in wonder 惊异地环顾四周
- in the name of wonder 究竟
- with wonder 惊异地
- look with wonder 惊奇地看
The wonders of the Mediterranean sea.出自： Goldsmith
He looked at her with awe, as though she were unique, a wonder.出自： A. Alvarez
Whilst I am bound to wonder, I am bound to pity too.出自：Cymbeline , Shakespeare
It cannot be wondered at if he took such opportunities as offered.出自： Sir W. Scott
His benevolent truthfulness was a thing to wonder over.出自： B. Capes
- wonder既可用作不及物动词,也可用作及物动词。用作及物动词时,可接带疑问词的动词不定式以及由that/wh-/if引导的从句作宾语; 用作不及物动词时,常与介词about, at连用。
- wonder用作不可数名词时,可作“惊叹,惊奇”解,其前可加no, any, little, small等表示疑问、否定的限定词来修饰,作此解时,常用作介词宾语或动词宾语。
- wonder可以用于It is a wonder that...结构, that一般不能省去,但是,如果是用于否定句结构, that可省去。
- wonder about, wonder at
- wonder at表示一时的心态,感到惊异,可用于否定,不可用于进行体; wonder about表示持续心态,不知道而想知道,一般不用于否定,可用于进行时态。例如:
- I keep wondering about what you said.
- I don't wonder at your shock!
- I wonder...,I don't know...
- I wonder...作“不知道”解时,其中含有“想知道”的意思; I don't know只是用来陈述对某事“不知道”这一事实。例如:
- I wonder what you call this.
- Do you know what they call this?
- —I don't know.
- wonder, startle, surprise
- 这组词都有“惊异”“震惊”的意思。其区别在于:wonder指对异常现象或难以解释的事感到“惊讶”或“疑惑”; surprise是普通用词,表示各种各样的惊讶; startle指因没有提防而“大吃一惊”或“吓了一跳”。
- in wonder, with wonder
- in wonder强调“处于惊奇中”,语气比with wonder强。
- No wonder that you did not go.
- It is no wonder you did not go.
误 I don't wonder about her refusing to marry him.
正 I don't wonder at her refusing to marry him.
析 表示“对…感到惊奇”,否定句中应该说wonder at...。我猜到天会下雪。
误 I shouldn't wonder if it didn't snow.
正 I shouldn't wonder if it snowed.
析 shouldn't wonder有双重否定的意思,因此if从句不能用否定式。
误 Books are filled with much wonder.
正 Books are filled with many wonders.
误 This new medicine has made wonders for my headache.
正 This new medicine has done wonders for my headache.
正 This new medicine has worked wonders for my headache.
析 表达“创造奇迹”可以说do wonders 或work wonders,但不能说make wonders。真奇怪,他竟然还活着。
误 It's the wonder that he is still alive.
正 It's a wonder that he is still alive.
析 表达“真奇怪”“真令人惊奇”可以用 It's a wonder that...,不可以把冠词a换成定冠词the。难怪他不想走。
误 There is no wonder that he didn't want to go.
正 It's no wonder that he didn't want to go.
正 No wonder that he didn't want to go.
析 表示“难怪”的含义用It's no wonder that...或No wonder that...的句型,不可以说There is no wonder that...。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的wundor；最初源自原始日耳曼语的wundran，意为美妙的事情，令人惊异的事。