- Near the Martian equator sits a volcano 1,100 kilometers in diameter named Syrtis Major.
- Near the Martian equator sits a volcano1,100 kilometers in diameter named Syrtis Major.
- The sprawling dark region near picture center is Syrtis Major, with the whitish Hellas impact basin just below, in the southern hemisphere.
- And because they feared that they might run aground on Syrtis, they lowered the gear and so were driven along.
- Below the comet-chasing spacecraft lies a dark boundary along the martian Syrtis region.
- Fearing that they would run aground on the sandbars of Syrtis, they lowered the sea anchor and let the ship be driven along.