- n. 稻草；吸管；麦杆；不值钱的东西
- adj. 用稻草做的；麦杆色的；无价值的；像稻草人的；非正式民意测验所发现的
- [U] 稻草,麦秆 the dry stems of plants like wheat
- [C] 吸管 a thin tube of paper or plastic for sucking up liquid
- [S] 毫无价值的东西,无意义的事情 sth of the smallest value
plant fiber used e.g. for making baskets and hats or as fodder
material consisting of seed coverings and small pieces of stem or leaves that have been separated from the seeds
a variable yellow tint; dull yellow, often diluted with white
a thin paper or plastic tube used to suck liquids into the mouth
of a pale yellow color like straw; straw-colored
cover or provide with or as if with straw;
"cows were strawed to weather the snowstorm"
spread by scattering (
"strew toys all over the carpet"
- The bird is building a nest of straw and twigs.
- A drowning man will catch at a straw.
- She was drinking juice through a straw.
- A drowne man will catch at a straw.
- The bumblebee sizzed right under his straw hat.
- Mary bought a lovely straw basket at the market.
- The force of his fall was broken by the straw mats.
- My young sister bought a straw bag.
- The enemy was cheated by the straw thins.
- A straw poll among members of staff shows the government is in the lead.
- This hat is made of straw.
- There are a lot of straws in the shed.
- May I have a straw for my drink?
- I don't care a straw for your opinions.
- a straw in the wind
征兆,迹象,苗头slight indication of how things may develop
- the last straw 不堪忍受的最后所增加的负担
- man of straw 稻草人,假想的对手
- suck lemonade through a straw 用吸管吸柠檬水
- house thatched with straw 茅屋
- make bricks without straw 做无米之炊
- straw in the wind 显示风向〔舆论〕的事物
The lofts over the stable were used as a storing place for hay and straw.出自：Pall Mall Gazette
Reaping where thou hast not sowen, gathering where thou hast not strawed.出自：Bible (AV): Matthew