- 状况， 情形
- [C] 状态,状况 a condition in which a person or thing is; a particular way of being, feeling, or thinking considered with regard to its most important or noticeable quality
- [C] 国家,政府 the government or political organization of a country
- [C] 州; 邦 any of the smaller partly self-governing areas making up certain nations
- [U] 盛礼; 隆重的仪式 the grandness and ceremony connected with governments and rulers
- vt. 陈述 say; express
- vt. 规定 set in advance
- the territory occupied by one of the constituent administrative districts of a nation;
"his state is in the deep south"
- the way something is with respect to its main attributes;
"the current state of knowledge"
"his state of health"
"in a weak financial state"
- the group of people comprising the government of a sovereign state;
"the state has lowered its income tax"
- a politically organized body of people under a single government;
"the state has elected a new president"
"students who had come to the nation's capitol"
"the country's largest manufacturer"
"an industrialized land"
- (chemistry) the three traditional states of matter are solids (fixed shape and volume) and liquids (fixed volume and shaped by the container) and gases (filling the container);
"the solid state of water is called ice"
- a state of depression or agitation;
"he was in such a state you just couldn't reason with him"
- the territory occupied by a nation;
"he returned to the land of his birth"
"he visited several European countries"
- the federal department in the United States that sets and maintains foreign policies;
"the Department of State was created in 1789"
- express in words;
"He said that he wanted to marry her"
"tell me what is bothering you"
"state your opinion"
"state your name"
- put before;
"I submit to you that the accused is guilty"
- indicate through a symbol, formula, etc.;
"Can you express this distance in kilometers?"
- She wept to see him in such a state.
- The house has fallen into a state of neglect.
- The head of state was deposed by the army.
- Alaska is a state of ample size.
- He was wary of telling state secrets.
- She teaches in a state university.
- The Queen is on a state visit to Moscow.
- Please state the facts honestly.
- They do not state that she is ( or is not ) a good teacher.
- State your name and address.
Air whether in the gaseous or liquid state is a fluid.
That country is now an independent State.
Railways in Britain belong to the State.
These industries are run by the State.
The state is now protecting the forest resources against exhaustion.
Young people should pay attention to the affairs of state.
She retained the best lawyer in the state to defend her case.
Which state do you come from?
The Queen drove to the palace in state.
The goodwill mission was received in state.
The opening of Parliament is one of the great state occasions.
Does private education skim off all the best students from the state system?
Industrial investments form an important part of state expenditure.
The area is in a state of armed conflict.
The army is in a high state of readiness.
The school buildings are in bad state of repair.
They sampled the population to find out the state of public opinion.
They are very concerned about the state of the churchyard.
His general state of health is fairly satisfactory.
The insurance company is trying to find out which driver is culpable for the state of events.
State your name and address.
He stated his problem clearly.
He stated his case before a judge.
Would you please state your frank opinion of the plan?
The witness stated that he had not seen the woman before.
I heard the official state that no children were to be admitted.
The spokesman stated that the agreement would be signed on 30 March.
It states in the newspaper that there will be a meeting tomorrow.
It is stated that the fire started in a cottage.
It is semiofficially stated that he has resigned his place on the committee.
Please state exactly what these legal terms mean.
Please state whether you are married or single.
They stated themselves to be members of a secret society.
They stated the diamond to have been stolen.
Theatre tickets must be used on the stated date.
- in〔into〕 a state
处于〔陷于〕激动或焦躁的情绪中 in〔into〕 an excited or agitated state of mindHe was in a real state when I last saw him.我上次见到他时,他很激动。
Mother's been in a great state the whole afternoon. 母亲整个下午都非常焦躁不安。
She got herself into a state about the exams. 她对这次考试心里很慌。
You couldn't help spilling the ink so there's no need to get into a state about it. 你不是故意把墨水溅出来的,因此没有必要为此担忧。
肮脏的,凌乱的 dirty, neglected, untidy, etc.His clothes were in a state.他的衣服乱七八糟。
What a state this place is in! 这地方真乱哪!
- 处于〔陷于〕激动或焦躁的情绪中 in〔into〕 an excited or agitated state of mindHe was in a real state when I last saw him.我上次见到他时,他很激动。
- alter the state of sth 改变某物的状态
- bring about a state of 造成…的状态
- create a state of 造成…的状态
- end a state of 结束…的状态
- get into a state 激动,担忧
- keep one's state 维持尊严
- reach a state of 达到…的状态
- resume a state of 恢复…的状态
- defend a state 保卫国家
- destroy a state 破坏一个国家
- found a state 建立一个国家
- lead a state 领导一个国家
- threaten a state 威胁一个国家
- actual state 实际状况
- dangerous state 危急状态
- good state 良好状态
- mental state 精神状态
- nervous state 紧张状态
- poor state 糟糕情况
- present state 现况
- solid state 固态
- unconscious state 失去知觉
- aggressive state 侵略性的国家
- big state 大国
- client state 附庸国
- dry state 禁酒州
- fascist state 法西斯国家
- free state (美国内战时期禁用奴隶的)自由州
- friendly state 友好国家
- independent state 独立国
- pacific state 爱好和平的国家
- revolutionary state 革命的国家
- small state 小国
- socialist state 社会主义国家
- sovereign state 主权国家
- strong state 强大的国家
- world state of affairs 世界状况
- enemy state 敌国
- member states 成员国
- police state 警察国家
- satellite states 卫星国
- slave state 蓄奴州
- welfare state 福利国家
- in state 隆重地,庄严地
- in a state 处于某一状态
- in a highly nervous state 处于极度紧张状态
- arrive in great state 威风凛凛地到达
- the Department of S- 〈美〉国务院
- the Secretary of S- 〈美〉国务卿,〈英〉国务大臣
- state of disorder 紊乱状态
- state of health 健康状况
- state of mind 精神状态
- state of nature 自然状态
- state of repair 维修状况
- state of the art 技艺发展水平
- state a case 陈述案件
- state a price 规定价格
- state one's name and dress 注明姓名和地址
- state one's opinion 陈述观点
- state one's view 陈述观点
- state one's wishes 表达愿望
- state the exact time of arrival 说明抵达的确切时间
- state abruptly 突然陈述
- state authoritatively 权威地陈述
- state broadly 概括地陈述
- state concisely 简明地陈述
- state constantly 不断地陈述
- state dangerously 危险地陈述
- state impatiently 不耐烦地陈述
- state emphatically 强调地陈述
- state exactly 确切地陈述
- state intelligently 英明地陈述
- state metaphorically 比喻地陈述
- state officially 官方地陈述
- state overwhelmingly 过分地陈述
- state parenthetically 作为插入语地陈述
- state peacefully 平静地陈述
- state positively 肯定地陈述
- state principally 主要地陈述
- state satisfactorily 令人满意地陈述
- state solemnly 严肃地陈述
- state specifically 详细地陈述
- state successfully 成功地陈述
- state succinctly 简明地陈述
- state tersely 简短地陈述
- state thoroughly 详尽地陈述
- state tranquilly 平静地陈述
- state unnecessarily 不必要地陈述
- state unreasonably 缺乏理智地陈述
- state unsuccessfully 失败地陈述
- state vigorously 有力地陈述
- state vividly 生动地陈述
- state wisely 明智地陈述
- state to 向…陈述
The state of discipline in the Army seems to be getting a bit lax.出自：J. B. Morton
I noted almost daily the state of her health.出自：L. Woolf
He could not..tell Mary about the state of their finances.出自：P. Dally
To be childless is not a happy state for any woman.出自：C. Harkness
A problem must be stated in order to be solved.出自：J. Martineau
The..secretary stated authoritatively..that the mayor would not sign that day.出自：L. Steffens
The parents were requested to state what diseases their children had had.出自：R. Fraser
The chairman stated that the contract would be signed on 16th April.
The teacher said that he had to go back to classroom soon.
- 一般情况下，我们可以说The negotiations are stated to have broken down.而不能说They state the negotiations to have broken down；
- state首字母s大写，表示为“国家”，例：the political policy of the State；
- state也可以来指我国古代春秋战国时期的“国”，the...State或State of...表示“...国”，如the Lu Stat或the State of Lu,the Warring States表示为“战国”；
- the United States of America是正式通用的名称，简写the States。The (United) States (of America) is a republic of the old type.这里state用is，做单数名词。美国人称美国国家为America，称自己为Americans，不同其它国外的人一样称它为the United States of North America。美国人自己也不 把the United States简称作the States；
- 在美国state有时候指“州”，有时候指“国”，例：State bank，State prison，State university都指“州的”，但State Department是“国务院”不是“州的部”，States在澳大利亚指澳大利亚的各州。
- state作名词的基本意思是“状态,状况”,指人或物在外观、心灵、健康等方面的自然“状态”或“情况”,是可数名词,常用于in a state of...的结构。
- state还可作“国家”解,如强调其政治实体性时,首字母常大写; 不强调政治实体性时则首字母可小写。state还可作为一个国家中的“州,邦”解,作此解时是可数名词。
- state一般用作及物动词,接名词、代词、that从句、带疑问词的从句作宾语。还可接以“to be+ n. ”或to have+ v -ed充当补足语的复合宾语。
- state常用于“It is/was stated that...”结构。
- state, circumstance, condition, situation
这四个词都有“情况,状态,条件,状况”的意思。其区别在于:state是普通用语,指“情况,状态”,其存在形式并不是具体事物; situation指危急或重大的事态,侧重“事态”,也指“职位,职业”; condition和state相比意义较狭隘,指在思考中的事物的状态,“环境”所影响的“情况”,特指事物内部的条件和状态,用复数时指比较一般、笼统的情况,侧重于“状况”; circumstance指某种事件或动作发生时的情况,一般都用复数形式。例如:The country is in a troubled state.这个国家处于紊乱的状态中。Measures must be taken to meet this situation.必须设法应付这个局面。He is applying for a situation.他正在请求得到一个位置。The oranges may soon rot under present conditions.橘子在目前的状态下会很快腐烂的。I don't remember all the circumstances of the quarrel.我不记得争吵的所有情况。
- state, country, nation
这组词都可表示“国家”。其区别是：country表示地理概念,侧重“疆土”,即一个国家的整个区域; nation侧重“人民”,指一个独立政府领导下的全体人民或整个民族的集合体; state则侧重“政权”,即独立的国家,也可指其政府。试体会下面两句中这三个词的含义:
- The United States is a nation of diverse peoples.
- That country is now an independent state.
- state, nation, people, race, tribe
这组词都可表示“民族”。其区别在于：1.race作“种族”解时,侧重人种学含义,往往包括几个民族和国家,这些民族的人民有某一相同的的自然特点(如肤色)。2.nation指有共同的历史,使用同一种语言,居住在同一个大的地区,侧重于人民。例如:The story is about the Indian nations in the western United States.这个故事是关于美国西部印第安民族的。3.tribe指有共同的语言与风俗习惯,尤其是以古老生活方式生活的“部落”。例如:Schools will help to civilize the wild tribes there.学校将有助于使那儿的野蛮部落文明化。4.state指国家或者邦〔州〕,侧重政权。例如:In our country, the people are protected by the state.在我国,人民受国家的保护。That country is now an independent state.那个国家现在是个独立的国家。They believed that the state was “above class distinctions”.他们认为国家是“超乎阶级区分之上”的。5.people指有共同文化、共同利益或理想的一群人,强调文化和社会的统一,而不是国家和民族的统一。例如:They will discuss giving further help to the oppressed peoples.他们将讨论给予被压迫民族更多援助。
- state, describe, narrate, recite, recount, rehearse, relate, report
这组词都有“讲述”的意思。其区别是：relate专指有条理、连贯和完整地叙述故事或自己看到、经历的事情; rehearse指总结性地讲述或重复讲述; recite和recount均指把每一细节都详细讲述或列举出来; narrate专指采用编造情节、悬念和高潮等文学手段生动地讲叙; describe侧重能给听众产生深刻印象的详尽而清楚地描述; state强调原原本本、不加修饰地用口头或书面形式清楚明确地讲述,强调旨在提供事实素材或看法; report指经过调查研究之后,为提供有关事实和情况,对某事的细节作出精确叙述或报告。
- condition state status situation circumstance
- nation state country land power
误 She is at a poor state of health.
正 She is in a poor state of health.
析 state作“状态”“状况”解时,常用于be in a state of sth 的结构,表示“处于某种状况〔情况〕”,这里介词用in,不用at。
误 The head of the state played a key role in politics.
正 The head of state played a key role in politics.
析 用head of state表示“国家元首”时, state前不加冠词。
误 The United States are located in North America.
正 The United States is located in North America.
- ☆ 13世纪初期进入英语，直接源自拉丁语的stutas，意为站姿。
- states:state n. 情形, 状态, 国家, 政府, 州adj. 国家的, 国有的, 国营的, 州的, 正式的, 典礼用的vt. 声明, 陈述, 规定 英英解释:名词state:1. the group…