either of the two times of the year when the sun is at its greatest distance from the celestial equator
- Another characteristic of sun-earth system is the gradual precession of the equinoxes and solstices along the orbit.
- Hippies visited the site for many years to celebrate the solstices and equinoxes.
- The solstices mark the points at which the poles are tilted at their maximum toward or away from the sun.
- A Chinese year can have 12 or 13 lunar months, that correspond to the nomber of new moons between two successive winter solstices.
- Another characteristic of the sun-earth system is the gradual procession of the equinoxes and solstices along the orbit.
- Solstices correspond to the top and bottom of the figure-8, indicating the northern and southernmost excursions of the Sun in the sky.