put down in writing; of texts, musical compositions, etc.
reach or come to rest;
"The bird landed on the highest branch"
"The plane landed in Istanbul"
put or settle into a position;
"The hotel was set down at the bottom of the valley"
cause to sit or seat or be in a settled position or place;
"set down your bags here"
"The passengers disembarked at Southampton"
leave or unload;
"unload the cargo"
"drop off the passengers at the hotel"
- He jotted down the conceits of his idle hours.
- Make sure that you put down every word she says.
- Write down your address at the check back please.
- He jotted down a note for her and then left.
- The teacher asked the pupil to put his hand down.
- Susan laid the infant down for a nap.
- We have been booked down for the next ship.
- Let's go down to the reception desk Register.
- We have set the date for the wedding.
- You must pin down every quotation to its author.
- The bus driver set her down at the cornet.
- Can you put him down at the next corner?
- I set a high value on his advice.
- I don't think you should go down there.
- You may set his silence down to his shyness.
- I put it all down to her hard work and initiative.
- Uncle Wang put the plough down in a field.
- At sunset, the sun looks as if it is going down.