- Drunk and out with a--a Yankee-loving Scallawag like Captain Butler!
- "One damned bast--Scallawag less," said Tony, holding out his glass for another drink.
- Never before or after did the names Republican and Scallawag carry such odium, for now the corruption of the Carpet bag regime was at its height.
- I wouldn't put anything beyond the swarm of buzzards that's swooping down on Georgia now from north, east, south and west. I'm playing along with them, you understand, as a good Scallawag should do, but I don't trust them.
- Git the hell out of here, you damned Scallawag."
- But, just the same, he's a Scallawag and a rascal and I don't like him!"