- [C] [U] 帆 sails; propulsion by means of sails
- [C] 航行游览 voyage or excursion on water for pleasure
- [S] 航程 voyage of a specified length
- [P] 船 ship
- vt. & vi. 坐船旅行,航行 travel on water or across (a body of water) in a ship or boat
- vt. 驾驶 direct or command (a ship or boat) on water
- vi. 起航,开船 begin a journey across water
- a large piece of fabric (usually canvas fabric) by means of which wind is used to propel a sailing vessel
- an ocean trip taken for pleasure
- any structure that resembles a sail
- traverse or travel on (a body of water);
"We sailed the Atlantic"
"He sailed the Pacific all alone"
- move with sweeping, effortless, gliding motions;
"The diva swept into the room"
"Shreds of paper sailed through the air"
"The searchlights swept across the sky"
- travel on water propelled by wind;
"I love sailing, especially on the open sea"
"the ship sails on"
- travel on water propelled by wind or by other means;
"The QE2 will sail to Southampton tomorrow"
- This ship sails for New York on Monday.
- The ship was given the all-clear to sail again.
- Can you sail a boat?
- The sailors heaved at rope to tighten the sail.
- Lower the sail or the boat will be knocked down.
- They go for a sail down the Thames .
- Viking River Cruises and Avalon Waterways are some of the operators which sail the Yangtze.
We hoisted the sails.
The sails filled with wind.
The wind bellied the sails.
The storm overtook the sailors before they could take in sail.
Old sailing ships used to have canvas sails.
He took the boy out for a sail.
We took a sail around the island.
We're going for a short sail tomorrow.
The ship was still a day's sail from London when its engine broke down.
How many days' sail is it from Hull to Oslo?
There wasn't a sail in sight.
We won a fleet of 10 sail.
The ship sailed along the coast.
The ship has sailed for two weeks.
We sail next Tuesday.
They are sailing tomorrow.
Miss Green came sailing past him.
The tall girl went sailing out of the room.
We sailed the Atlantic in five days.
He had sailed the North Sea many times.
She sails her own yacht.
Do you know how to sail this boat?
- set sail
起航 begin a voyage
We set sail at high tide. 我们在涨潮时起航。
We set sail for home. 我们开船返航。
The ship set sail for Europe. 这艘船起航去欧洲。
We're setting sail for India tomorrow. 我们明天起航去印度。
- 起航 begin a voyage
- under sail
扬着帆 moving with sails spread
The ship is under sail, making toward the land. 船正朝大陆扬帆航行。
- 扬着帆 moving with sails spread
- sail for (v.+prep.)
驶向… sail in the direction of; make a voyage to sail for sth
He has sailed for New York.他已乘船去纽约了。
- 驶向… sail in the direction of; make a voyage to sail for sth
- sail in (v.+adv.)
驶进 enter a place by sailing sail in
We had almost given up hope of the ship's safe return when she sailed in.就在我们对这艘船的平安返港几乎不抱什么希望时,它进港了。
〈非正〉傲慢地进入 enter a room, etc., in a proud manner sail in
The director sailed in, demanding to know who had disobeyed his orders.主任盛气凌人地走进来,查问是谁违背了他的命令。
〈非正〉兴致勃勃地发话 speak in an active manner sail in with sth
We were enjoying a pleasant conversation, until she sailed in with her unpleasant remarks.我们正在愉快地交谈,她却起劲地加入进来,说些令人不愉快的话。
Ann then sailed in with a furious attack on the chairman.然后安严词抨击董事长。
- 驶进 enter a place by sailing sail in
- sail into (v.+prep.)
(使)驶入… (cause to) enter (a place) by sailing sail into sth
We stopped worrying about the ship's safe arrival when she sailed into the harbour with all her flags flying.看到飘满彩旗的轮船驶进港口,我们才不再为它能否安全返航而担心。sail sth into sth
There's a storm coming; we'd better sail the boat into port.风暴要来了,我们最好把船驶进港里去。
傲慢地或神气地进入… enter or begin sth in a proud manner sail into sth
The manager sailed into the room.经理神气十足地走进房间。
The actress sailed into the room in her flowing dress.那位女演员身穿飘逸的长裙翩然走进了房间。
起劲地开始 attack sth actively sail into sth
Then the band sailed into the familiar tune.这时乐队奏起那支人们熟悉的曲子。
You should see the way that those children sailed into the food that we offered them.你应该注意到那些孩子在吃我们给的食物时狼吞虎咽的劲头。
抨击…,责骂… attack sb with words; scold sb for a fault sail into sb
The speaker sailed into his opponent, showing the weaknesses of his argument in an unmistakable way.那位发言人抨击他的对手,无可反驳地指明了其论点中的各个弱点。
He sailed into the witness, accusing him of lying.他开始指责证人撒谎。
- (使)驶入… (cause to) enter (a place) by sailing sail into sth
- sail through (v.+prep.)
(使)顺利通过… (cause to) pass sth easily sail through sth
He simply sailed through the difficult exam.他轻而易举地通过了这次困难的考试。sail sth through sth
The captain sailed his ship through the narrow channel.船长驾驶他的船穿过了狭窄的航道。
- (使)顺利通过… (cause to) pass sth easily sail through sth
- back the sails 整帆使船倒退
- belly sail 风将帆吹鼓
- crowd all sails 张起所有的帆
- fill the sails 使帆满风
- go for sail 乘船游览
- hoist sail 扬帆
- let out the sails 张帆
- lift a sail 扯起帆
- lower a sail 下帆
- make sail 张帆起航
- put up a sail 扯起帆
- raise the sails 升帆,扬帆
- reduce a sail 收帆
- set sail 扬帆起航
- shorten sails 收帆减速
- spread a sail 扯起〔扬〕帆
- strike a sail 突然下帆
- take in sails 收帆减速
- trim sail 随风驶船
- unfurl sail 扬帆
- sail in 驶进,傲慢地走进
The..navy comprised..twenty-seven sail.出自：H. Cox
We..had a magnificent sail..down Lake Champlain.出自：W. Irving
Swans that sail along the Silver Flood.出自：Dryden
The high moon sails upon her beauteous way.出自：Byron
- make sail有时与set sail同义,意为“起航”,两者后接介词for,但不能接to。
- 在full sail, take in sail, under sail等短语中, sail前均无冠词,且sail为单数形式,但在take the wind out of sb's sails短语中, sail则须用复数形式。
- The boat will sail next Sunday.
- The boat sails next Sunday.
- The boat is sailing next Sunday.
- We sailed for America the next morning.
- We sailed to America the next morning.
误 I like to go for sail.
正 I like to go for a sail.
析 go for a sail是固定短语, sail前的不定冠词a不可省略。
误 To tell you the truth,I have never been in a canoe under a sail in my life.
正 To tell you the truth,I have never been in a canoe under sail in my life.
析 under sail是习语,不加冠词a。
误 They set a sail to the islands in the early morning.
正 They set sail for the islands in the early morning.
析 set sail表示“开船”; set a sail表示“张帆”。
- ☆ 直接源自古英语的gesl，意为帆。
- SAIL:State Apartment Incentive Loan Program国家助学贷款公寓激励
- SAIL:Steel Authority of India Limited (Indian government subsidiary)印度钢铁权威有限公司(印度政府下属)
- SAIL:Stanford Artificial Intelligence Language斯坦福大学人工智能的语言
- sail:sail v. 航行(于)vi. 启航, 开船n. 帆, 篷, 航行习惯用语at full sail(s) 开足马力, 张起所有的帆, 高速前进back [brace, aback] the sail…