hit hard with the hand, fist, or some heavy instrument
strike or drive against with a heavy impact
move heavily or clumsily
partition off into compartments
shut up or confine in any enclosure or within any bounds or limits
place or shut up in a pound
break down and crush by beating, as with a pestle
- Potatoes are 20 pence a pound.
- The noise of the drill pounded at my ears. I thought I would lose my hearing.
- The children pounded up the stairs.
- My ears have been pounded on for the past hour; when is he going to switch off that damned drill?
- He pounded the table angrily.