a person who has paraplegia (is paralyzed from the waist down)
- There are 12 quadriplegics and 31 paraplegics.
- Many paraplegics suffer from muscle spasms caused by uncontrolled electrical impulses in the nerves.
- Professor Donoghue hopes the implant, called BrainGate, will allow paraplegics to regain the use of their arms and legs.
- Within a year, lottery winners and paraplegics have both (on average) returned most of the way to their baseline levels of happiness.
- Dysfunction of micturition and defecation after spinal cord injury would severely affect the health and life quality of paraplegics.
- A sensor that has been implanted in the brains of paraplegics and which enables its recipients to move a wheelchair constitutes a limited form of telekinesis.