- [U][C]意思,意义,含义 what is conveyed or signified; sense
- [U]目的,重要性 purpose; significance
- the message that is intended or expressed or signified;
"what is the meaning of this sentence"
"the significance of a red traffic light"
"the signification of Chinese characters"
"the import of his announcement was ambiguous"
- the idea that is intended;
"What is the meaning of this proverb?"
- rich in significance or implication;
"a meaning look"
- These words are empty of meaning.
- This battle is of historic meaning.
- I can't apprehend your meaning.
- You mistook my meaning entirely.
- You wrest my words from their real meaning.
- He says his life has lost its meaning since his wife died.
- Henry and his wife again interchanged a meaning look.
He explained his meaning shortly but clearly.
There is a negligible difference in meaning between these two words.
The meaning of the sentence is obvious to everybody.
The word is now used in a sense different from the original meaning.
Do you know the precise meaning of the word?
This is a word with six distinct meanings.
The word “heart” has several discrete meanings. “heart”
Every phrase in this poem is pregnant with meaning.
This word has its underlying meaning.
What is the meaning of this intrusion?
A mischievous meaning was apparent.
What is the meaning of life?
I can't quite grasp the meaning of these figures.
- acquire a new meaning 获得新意
- bear a meaning 有意义
- catch the meaning 听懂含义
- change the meaning 改变意思
- contain (a) meaning 包含意义
- dig the meaning 钻研出意义
- explain the meaning 解释意思
- get sb's meaning 明白某人的意思
- grasp the meaning of 抓住…的重点
- have a meaning 有某种意义
- illustrate one's meaning 举例说明自己的意思
- keep regular meaning 保持通常的意义
- know the meaning (of) 知道…的含义
- perceive the full meaning 了解全部含义
- puzzle out the meaning 思索出含义
- seize the meaning 抓住意思
- take meaning to heart 把意义铭记在心
- take on (a) new meaning 获得(一个)新义
- understand a meaning 理解某意思
- unfold the meaning of 表明…的意思
- accepted meaning 公认的意义
- apparent meaning 表面的意义
- basic meaning 基础意思
- central meaning 中心意义
- clear meaning 清楚的意思
- deep meaning 深层意义
- double meaning 模棱两可的意思
- essential meaning 基本含义
- exact meaning 确切的意义
- grammatical meaning 文法含义
- hidden meaning 隐义
- important meaning 重要意义
- intended meaning 欲表达的意义
- real meaning 真正的意义
- social meaning 社会意义
- wide meaning 广泛的意义
- meaning of a word 一个词的意义
When I..had seene the vision, and sought for the meaning.出自：Bible (AV): Daniel
What's the meaning of this disgraceful performance?出自：T. Hardy
Will you kindly make your meaning clearer?出自：R. K. Narayan
Simon seemed unable to make sense of the words, but then their meaning came through.出自：J. Gardner
First meaning of row with us seems to be quarrel.出自：J. Gardam
Whenever Melanie asked..the meaning of a French..expression, he never had to consult a dictionary.出自：P. Grosskurth
She gave me a meaning look.出自：R. Hoggart
Willard..gently stroked my left buttock. Gave it a meaning squeeze.出自：R. Davies
- meaning, implication, sense, significance
这组词的共同意思是“含义”。其区别是：meaning意为“意义,意思,重要性”; implication着重指无需说明、解释即可理解的含蓄的、暗示的“意思”。例如:She smiled with the implication that she didn't believe him.她笑了,意思就是不相信他。sense通常指“观念,概念,含义”,也可指“感觉,意识”,在许多情况下, sense与meaning可以替换。例如:Some words have as many as twenty senses〔means〕.有些词有至少20个意思。significance着重指内在的“含义,重要性”。例如:He has quite realized the true significance of her actions.他完全认识到了她的行动的重要性。
误 Her meaning was to help you.
正 Her intention was to help you.
正 She meant to help you.
析 meaning表示“意义,意思”,表示“意图,打算”可以用intention或动词mean+to- v 来表示。
- meaningful adj. 有目的的,有用意的；有意义的‖meaningfulness n. 富有意义
- meaning:meaning n. 意义, 含意, 意图, [逻]内涵adj. 意味深长的…