- His character is described as one of "sageliness within and kingliness without.
- Zhang Taiyan's ways of inner sageliness and outer kingliness is actually his two steps of salvation.
- I would like to also simultaneously analyze the ideal character's highest expression, that of the Chinese ideal of "outer kingliness.
- The saying "sageliness within and kingliness without" means only that he who has the noblest spirit should, theoretically, be king.
- For Confucius, it was a principle only for"sageliness within, "but by Mencius it was expanded to become also a principle for "kingliness without.
- The latter could be clearly seen in the New-Confucian theoretical effort of guiding scientific reason to achieve outer kingliness within inner sageliness.