- Fossett focused on sailing and aviation.
- "I am a bit nervous about the first night," Fossett said before take-off.
- This is Fossett's sixth attempt of solocircumnavigation of the globe by means of a hot air balloon.
- "If I have engine trouble, there will be no trouble with gliding," Fossett had said earlier in the day before landing.
- As GlobalFlyer approached the airport, Fossett deployed small parachutes to slow the craft down.
- Fossett went missing in September of 2007 after taking off in his plane from an airstrip in Nevada.