- n. 行政长官
the ruler of a province (as in the Roman Empire and Byzantine Empire) or certain religious rulers with secular authority;
"the election of Makarios III to archbishop gave him the status of the ethnarch of Cyprus"
- The election of Makarios iii to archbishop gave him the status of the ethnarch of Cyprus.
- In Damascus the ethnarch under Aretas the king was guarding the city of the Damascenes in order to seize me,
- 2 which read as follows: ＂King Antiochus sends greetings to Simon, the priest and ethnarch, and to the Jewish nation.
- 1 1 Antiochus, son of King Demetrius, sent a letter from the islands of the sea to Simon, the priest and ethnarch of the Jews, and to all the nation,
- 47 5 and Simon accepted and agreed to act as high priest, governor general, and ethnarch of the Jewish people and priests and to exercise supreme authority over all.'