- [C]订婚,婚约 an agreement to marry
- [C]约会,约定 an arrangement to meet sb or to do sth
a hostile meeting of opposing military forces in the course of a war;
"Grant won a decisive victory in the battle of Chickamauga"
"he lost his romantic ideas about war when he got into a real engagement"
a meeting arranged in advance;
"she asked how to avoid kissing at the end of a date"
a mutual promise to marry
the act of giving someone a job
employment for performers or performing groups that lasts for a limited period of time;
"the play had bookings throughout the summer"
contact by fitting together;
"the engagement of the clutch"
"the meshing of gears"
the act of sharing in the activities of a group;
"the teacher tried to increase his students' engagement in class activities"
- I have numerous engagements for next year.
- Fidelity to engagement is a virtue.
- Their engagement was announced in the papers.
- He broke off his engagement to her.
- The terms of engagement are to be agreed in writing.
- The general tried to avoid an engagement with the enemy.
- Engagement is the state or act of interlocking.
- Apply strap wrench make-up of no more than one to two turns beyong finger tight thread engagement.
- Have you heard that John has broken off his engagement to Mary?
- I can't see you on Monday because I have a previous engagement.
- I have several engagements for next week.
Another method of effecting engagement..by wheels in rolling contact.出自： W. J. M. Rankine
Within three weeks of our engagement..we were married.出自： S. Spender
He broke off his engagement.出自： A. Storr