- [U]深,深度,纵深 distance from the top down
- [U]深厚,深切,深刻 sincerity, intensity
- [P]极深处,深渊 in the deep place
- the extent downward or backward or inward;
"the depth of the water"
"depth of a shelf"
"depth of a closet"
- degree of psychological or intellectual profundity
- (usually plural) the deepest and most remote part;
"from the depths of darkest Africa"
"signals received from the depths of space"
- (usually plural) a low moral state;
"he had sunk to the depths of addiction"
- the intellectual ability to penetrate deeply into ideas
- the attribute or quality of being deep, strong, or intense;
"the depth of his breathing"
"the depth of his sighs,"
"the depth of his emotion"
- The young man dived to a depth of 40 feet.
- Her latest poem has remarkable depth.
- He is admired for the depth of his perception.
- The child is being taught subjects that are beyond his depth.
- Nobody knew the depth of her love for the child.
- A tread depth of less than 1/16 inch is unsafe.
What is the depth of this lake?
We dived to a depth of 30 feet.
The depth of the hall is 150 feet.
In searching for oil some wells have been drilled to a depth of more than 20,000 feet.
Snow accumulated to a depth of 5 feet.
Water could be drawn from great depths by placing several pumps in series.
The old man disappeared into the depths of the house.
There are heavy concentrations of that fish at the lower depths.
- beyond one's depth
超过某人的理解力 unable to understand a subject or topic
It's beyond my depth when it comes to natural sciences. 谈到自然科学我就茫然。
He decided that his brother's geometry book was beyond his depth. 他确认他无法理解他哥哥的几何书。
- 超过某人的理解力 unable to understand a subject or topic
- in depth
This is a new subject and needs to be explored in depth. 这是个新课题,需要深入研究。
- 深入地,全面地 thoroughly
- in the depth(s) of
在…的深处 when or where sth is deepest, most severe, etc.
Most old overseas Chinese keep in the depths of their souls a longing for their motherland. 多数老华侨深深怀念祖国。
In the depths of a drought I have watched the fight over a water hole. 在干旱严重的时候,我看到过为了争喝一口水而互相斗起来。
If you are in the depths of despair, you are extremely unhappy. 如果你彻底地失望,你会十分不开心。
He is sunk in the depths of vice. 他堕入罪恶的深渊。
Strange creatures live in the profound depths of the ocean. 大洋的深处生活着稀奇古怪的生物。
- 在…的深处 when or where sth is deepest, most severe, etc.
- out of one's depth
在水深没顶的地方 in the water too deep to stand in
If you can't swim, don't go out of your depth. 如果你不会游泳就别到水深没顶的地方去。
超出了某人知识和理解力的范围 unable to understand a subject or topic
If you get him talking on art, he is soon out of his depth. 如果你和他谈论艺术,他很快就不知该如何作答了。
束手无策 unable to do sth
Peter managed quite well in chemistry at school, but when he went to the university he soon got out of his depth. 上中学时彼得的化学学得相当好,可是上大学之后很快就学不进去了。
- 在水深没顶的地方 in the water too deep to stand in
- to the depth(s) of
深到… the deep of
Gold also seems to stir men to the depth of their being. 淘金对人们的吸引力似乎很大。
The ragged path leads all the way to the depths of the woods. 那条崎岖不平的羊肠小道一直通往林子的深处。
- 深到… the deep of
- attain depth 达到…深度
- have depth 有…深
- maintain depth 保持深度
- measure depth 测量深度
- reach depth 达到…深度
- show depth 显示出深度
- touch depth 触及深处
- abysmal depth 不可测的深度
- darkest depth 极度的
- great depth 深沉的
- infinite depth 无限的深处
- innermost depth 最深处
- lower depths 深潭
- small depth 浅塘
Trenches of a cubite in depth.出自：B. Googe
They swim in the icy water..at a depth no greater than their height.出自：J. Updike
- ☆ 14世纪晚期入英进语，直接源自中古英语的depute，意为深。
- depth:depth n. 深, 深度, 深奥, 深刻习惯用语beyond one's depth 在水深没顶处 超出某人的理解能力; 非某人力所能及out of one's depth 在水深没顶处 超出某人…