put an end to a state or an activity
have an end, in a temporal, spatial, or quantitative sense; either spatial or metaphorical
- That department has ceased to exist.
- As suddenly as it began, the rain ceased.
- The newspaper ceased to appear after an existence of three months.
- The newspaper had ceased publication.
- The bank had ceased payment.
- The factory has ceased making bicycles.
- Hostilities (ie Fighting) between the two sides ceased at midnight.
- The old man ceased breathing the night before.