- Basilosaurus was not a particularly fussy eater.
- Basilosaurus was the first whale to become truly gigantic in size.
- Like modern whales, Basilosaurus was an air breather and could not have stayed underwater for long periods of time.
- Eocene seas were home to an unusual and gigantic form of early whale called Basilosaurus.
- Basilosaurus isis is one of the primitive whales known as archaeocetes, which evolved from land mammals and later evolved into the two types of modern whale.
- It would have to return to the surface to breathe but Basilosaurus did not have a blow hole, it would have to raise the tip of its nose out of the water so that the nostrils could take deep breaths.