a family of Indo-European languages including the Slavic and Baltic languages
- In fact, its name in Old Slavonic actually means main square or beautiul square.
- Last but one on the relay was Gunnar Kaasen, who did not consider his lead dog, Balto, particularly competent.
- Church Slavonic features okanye and yekanye, i.e., the absence of vowel reduction in unstressed syllables.
- The mail in the north used to be delivered by dogsled, but the success of airplane delivery leaves Balto and the other sled dogs feeling neglected.
- Also from the Slavonic family of languages comes "robot", a Czech word in origin.
- Exhausted and nearly frozen after a 53-mile run, Balto finally led the team into Nome, and became a hero across the United States.