- Last but one on the relay was Gunnar Kaasen, who did not consider his lead dog, Balto, particularly competent.
- The mail in the north used to be delivered by dogsled, but the success of airplane delivery leaves Balto and the other sled dogs feeling neglected.
- Exhausted and nearly frozen after a 53-mile run, Balto finally led the team into Nome, and became a hero across the United States.
- This story also prominently features Balto's son, Kodi, who was among the puppy litter that we met in Balto II: Wolf Quest.
- Balto, however, proved his mettle when he plunged into the driving snow and hurricane force winds, at one point halting to save the team from death in the Topkok River.