- [C]祖先,祖宗 any of the people from whom sb is descended, especially those more remote than his grandparents; forefather
- [C]原型; 先驱 early form of a machine or structure which later became more developed; forerunner
someone from whom you are descended (but usually more remote than a grandparent)
- During the festival the investor investigated his ancestor.
- They said their ancestor was a famous hunter and a crack hunter.
- People who share an ancestor are called relatives.
- She has worshipped her ancestor.
- One of my ancestors was a great scholar.
- The abacus is the ancestor of the modern computer.
- The three species evolved from a single ancestor.
- She has worshiped her ancestor.
- This machine is the ancestor of the modern computer.
St. Peter..the spiritual ancestor of the Bishop of Rome.出自： H. H. Milman
It is believed that his [the Suffolk's] ancestors were the horses of the Norsemen.出自： M. C. Self
In the rites of ancestor worship the child imitated the gestures of his grandfather.出自： F. Fitzgerald
- ancestor的基本意思是“祖先,祖宗”,是阳性可数名词,与其对应的阴性名词为ancestress［' nsestrIs］ (女祖先); 引申可作“原型,先驱”解。