- Aegeus hastily embraced his wife and son, and without a backward glance he departed to his ship.
- Aethra was a princess of Troezen, and in that city Aegeus had wooed and married her.
- "Those sandals and that sword," continued his mother,"belonged to your father, Aegeus of Athens.
- The youth rolled aside the rock with ease, and brought from the hollow the sword and the sandals whick Aegeus had hidden.
- Then, as he and Aethra paced the shore, Aegeus paused before a huge rock, and stooping down, he exerted his great strength to roll it aside and reveal a hollow space beneath it.