- The offices of aedile and tribune had disappeared, and by the end of the fourth century the quaestorship was on the point of disappearing.
- The next two positions were non-obligatory holdovers from the Republic. The positions of tribune of the plebs and aedile continued to exist, but they had little power or purpose.
- The curial aedile was responsible for local police protection, the oversight of public markets, the production of theatrical performances, and for the care and upkeep of the temples.
- and on a number of poor but honest senators he bestowed the rank of tribune or aedile.
- He enrolled in the senate many of his friends, giving them the rank of aedile or prisoner;