a witness whose relationship to the opposing party is such that his or her testimony may be prejudiced against the opposing party;
"a hostile witness can be asked leading questions and cross-examined"
- When adverse publicity is equivalent to a formal accusation of criminal wrongdoing, due process may compel the agency to allow the accused some opportunity to present evidence and cross-examine adverse witnesses.
- He held an opinion quite adverse to Comrade Wang's.
- The criminal disposed of the witness to the crime.
- I have reliance in the testimony of the witness.
- The development was adverse to our interests.
- State the fact in witness of his guilt.