- The main risk factors were long time hospitalization, advanced disease, elderly leukopenia, chemotherapy and all kinds of invasive operations.
- For patients with advanced disease optimal cytoreduction (debulking) should be attempted at the time of initial surgery.
- In Whitmore's era, cure was often not possible due to advanced disease and complications for lower risk disease were too high.
- At baseline prior to treatment, Asians had a higher histological fibrosis stage (P = 0.0014), indicating more advanced disease at presentation.
- His disease was complicated by pneumonia.