- The advance guard pushed forward to maintain contact with the enemy.
- Across the sun hurried a darkening filter of cloud,the advance guard of a larger and even graver army.
- The advance guard of the relief force was only 97km (60 miles) from Leningrad when the Germans struck back.
- By 08:00 hours, its advance guard - the Cromwell tanks of the 4th City of London Yeomanry "Sharpshooters" (4 CLY) - was passing through the town.
- Those who once paraded themselves as advance guard and pursued international style change over and become advocators of traditional Chinese culture.