- [U]行动; 行为过程 the process of doing sth in order to make sth happen or to deal with a situation
- [C]所做之事; 行为 a thing that sb does; sth done
- [U]〈非正〉激动人心的事 exciting events; all the exciting or important events that happen in a particular situation or place
- [U](故事,戏剧等中的)情节 the events in a story, play, etc.
- [U][C]战斗; 作战 fighting in a battle a war
- [U](一种物质或化学品对另一种所起的)作用 the effect that one substance or chemical has on another
- vt. 采取行动; 采取措施 take appropriate steps to make sure that sth is done or dealt with
- something done (usually as opposed to something said);
"there were stories of murders and other unnatural actions"
- the state of being active;
"his sphere of activity"
"he is out of action"
- a military engagement;
"he saw action in Korea"
- a process existing in or produced by nature (rather than by the intent of human beings);
"the action of natural forces"
- the series of events that form a plot;
"his novels always have a lot of action"
- the trait of being active and energetic and forceful;
"a man of action"
- the operating part that transmits power to a mechanism;
"the piano had a very stiff action"
- a judicial proceeding brought by one party against another; one party prosecutes another for a wrong done or for protection of a right or for prevention of a wrong
- an act by a government body or supranational organization;
"recent federal action undermined the segregationist position"
"the United Nations must have the power to propose and organize action without being hobbled by irrelevant issues"
"the Union action of emancipating Southern slaves"
- the most important or interesting work or activity in a specific area or field;
"the action is no longer in technology stocks but in municipal bonds"
"gawkers always try to get as close to the action as possible"
- institute legal proceedings against; file a suit against;
"He was warned that the district attorney would process him"
"She actioned the company for discrimination"
- put in effect;
"carry out a task"
"execute the decision of the people"
"He actioned the operation"
- After the security incident, you should create an action report that includes three simple goals.
- The government finally took some actions because the public had been pressing for inquiry into the question.
- The medicine will not take action until two hours later.
- The action lasted three hours and caused great casualties.
- In Scene 1, the action takes place in an expensive restaurant.
- The action took place in a seaside village.
- She had a fine action while dancing ballet.
- Finally she had to file an action for divorce.
- The action of your heart is perfect.
Actions speak louder than words.
The action of picking the baby up had made her back ache.
His prompt action prevented an accident.
His actions suggest that he is a fool.
His swimming action is fine.
Action to prevent the spread of the disease is high on the government's agenda.
All actions are based on judgements.
His actions since that morning have been eccentric and unpredictable.
The action is set in Japan.
The action took place in Switzerland.
All the action in The Ghost Train takes place at one station. 《
The main action of her latest novel takes place in medieval Spain.
The action drags.
The action moves between bloody battle scenes and the domestic life of the families who are left behind.
The action picks up in the third act.
The action lasted two hours.
The action of the crank turns the wheel.
The pumping action of the machine needs repairing.
It has a very smooth action.
The car has a very smooth braking action.
His films have a lot of action and not much dialogue.
It needs a lot of wrist action.
It only needs a small wrist action to start the process.
The plan required careful action.
The Prime Minister defended her action.
What motivated my action,I can't tell.
Why don't you reconsider your action?
This problem calls for swift action from the government.
The committee was spurred into action by the threat of government cuts.
The complaints system swings into action as soon as a claim is made.
Most people condemned his high-handed action.
She was unable to justify her action in leaving the documents in her car.
He defended his original action in sacking Mr. Rookes.
I'll say the words and you can mime the actions.
The troops fought a delaying action.
The marines went into action before dawn.
They went into action against superior forces.
We broke off the action because our ammunition was running low.
Oxygen will exert a chemical action on metals.
These plastics can resist the action of acids.
They recorded the action of the drug on the nervous system.
We studied the action of the digestive system.
The court decided the action in favour of the defendant.
The judge dismissed the action.
Their every action and expression was recorded.
I judged by actions, not merely by words.
I can tell by his actions that he is unhappy.
You must judge a person by his actions, not by what he says.
Photographs are made possible by the action of light on paper.
Photographs are produced by the action of light on film.
Some washing powders break down proteins by chemical action.
The time has come for action.
He was sorry for his actions.
My mother punished me for my rude actions.
He could not be held responsible for his action.
She is impulsive in her actions.
It will restrict our freedom of action.
He's a man of action, not words.
You must accept the bad results of your actions.
They felt they should be near the centre of the action.
The war consisted largely of limited actions.
The book was halted in South Africa by a threat of legal action.
He had decided upon immediate action.
Your request will be actioned.
- a piece〔slice〕 of the action
(为获得利益)参与某事involvement in some enterprise, especially in order to get a share of the profits
Do you what a piece of the action? 你想分一份吗？
She's only putting money into this scheme if she get a slice of the action. 她若能分得一杯羹,才肯出钱参与这一计划。
- (为获得利益)参与某事involvement in some enterprise, especially in order to get a share of the profits
- bring an action (against sb)
起诉(某人) start a legal process against sb
He brought an action against her. 他起诉她了。
He brought legal action against his neighbour. 他起诉他的邻居。
She brought an action against the hospital. 她控告医院。
He brought an action against the union officials. 他对工会官员提起诉讼。
A criminal action was brought against him. 他被起诉犯有刑事罪。
- 起诉(某人) start a legal process against sb
- in action
在运转,在操作 in operation or engaging in a typical activity
Is your machine still in action? 你的机器还在运转吗？
How long before we can see that new ski lifts in action? 我们多久才能看见新的滑雪索道开始运行？
He wanted to go there and see the system in action. 他想到那里去看看该系统运转的情形。
战斗 fighting in a battle or war
Many were killed in action. 许多人在战斗中阵亡。
Her younger son was killed in action. 她的小儿子死于战斗中。
He was reported missing in action. 据报道他在战斗中失踪。
Henry's brother was killed in action in Germany. 亨利的兄弟在德国作战时阵亡。
正在做擅长的事; 正在做训练的事doing what you are good at or what you are trained to do
It's interesting to watch a good salesman in action. 看一个出色的推销员卖东西是很有趣的。
He is a very good tennis player; you ought to see him in action. 他是个出色的网球手,你该看看他打球。
- 在运转,在操作 in operation or engaging in a typical activity
- into action
付诸实施into operation or a typical activity
Mum quickly went into action in the kitchen. 妈妈立刻在厨房里忙开了。
The rules will be brought into action tomorrow. 章程从明天开始生效。
- 付诸实施into operation or a typical activity
- out of action
不再运转,失去效用 no longer able to operate or function; not working
I'm out of action with a sore back. 我因背痛而不能工作。
I was out of action with a sprained ankle. 我的脚踝扭伤了,不能行动。
His injury means he will be out of action for six weeks. 受伤意味着他有六周不能正常工作。
Do you know how long the printer will be out of action? 你知道打印机有多长时间不能用吗？
The swimming pool is currently out of action. 游泳池眼下无法使用。
All three tanks were very quickly put out of action. 三辆坦克很快就全部报销了。
Her broken wrist will put her out of action for at least a month. 她断了的手腕将让她至少一个月活动不便。
The storm put the telephones out of action. 暴风雨使电话中断。
- 不再运转,失去效用 no longer able to operate or function; not working
- put sth into action
把某事物付诸实施 start using sth such as a plan or idea
It's time to put our plan into action. 是将我们的计划付诸行动的时候了。
Things will be easier when we put the new system into action. 等新方法开始施行时,事情就会变得容易。
He was capable not only of putting ideas forward, but also of putting them into action. 他不但能提出许多主意,而且能付诸实施。
Our plans aren't quite ready to be put into action. 我们的计划还没准备好要付诸实施。
- 把某事物付诸实施 start using sth such as a plan or idea
- see action
参加战斗 take part in military fighting
He'd seen a lot of action. 他曾身经百战。
He saw action in Africa. 他在非洲打过仗。
He saw action in the trenches. 他在战壕里战斗。
- 参加战斗 take part in military fighting
- take action
采取行动,行动起来do sth in response to what has happened
I had to take evasive action. 我不得不采取规避行动。
The police had to take firm action to deal with the riots. 警方不得不采取果断行动来对付骚乱。
We must take action to deal with the problem before it spreads to other areas. 我们必须采取行动,在问题扩展到其他地区之前将其解决。
The government was already taking action to stop the strike. 政府已开始采取行动阻止罢工。
- 采取行动,行动起来do sth in response to what has happened
- where the action is
〈美·非正〉热闹〔享乐,有利可图等〕的地方any place where life is thought to be busy, enjoyable, profitable, etc.
A good journalist always manages to be where the action is. 好的新闻记者总是想办法亲临现场。
He wants to live in London because he thinks that's where the action is. 他想住在伦敦,因为他认为那里是个热闹的地方。
I want to be where the action is! 我好想去一个有意思的地方！
- 〈美·非正〉热闹〔享乐,有利可图等〕的地方any place where life is thought to be busy, enjoyable, profitable, etc.
- chemical action 化学作用
- civil action 民事诉讼
- combined action 协同作战
- concerted action 一致行动
- daring action 勇敢的行为
- decisive action 果断行动
- defensive action 防御战
- delaying action 阻止战斗
- desperate action 困兽之斗
- direct action 直接行动
- disciplinary action 处分
- drastic action 激烈的行动
- evasive action 规避动作
- firm action 果断的行动
- flanking action 翼侧作战
- further action 进一步的行动
- hasty action 仓促的行动
- immediate action 即刻行动
- independent action 独立行动
- industrial action 劳工行动
- kind action 友好行为
- legal action 法律行动
- local action 局部战斗
- political action 政治行动
- prompt action 即刻行动
- punitive action 讨伐行动
- rash action 草率的行动
- remedial action 补救措施
- rude action 粗鲁行为
- strong action 强硬的行动
- united action 一致行动
- vigorous action 有力行动
- voluntary action 自愿的行动
- worthless action 无用的行动
- class action 〈美〉集团诉讼
- court action 法庭起诉
- enemy action 敌方行动
- holding action 牵制性行动
- job action 〈美〉临时罢工示威
- joint action 联合行动
- military action 军事行动
- night actions 夜战行动
- offensive action 进攻战
- protest action 抗议行动
- rearguard action 后卫战斗
- reflex action 反射作用
- emergency action 应急行动
- by the action of 在…的作用下
- in action 在运转,在操作
- out of action 失去效用
- regret at sb's action 对某人的行为遗憾
- produce by chemical action 通过化学作用产生
- be ready for action 准备行动
- regret for sb's action 对某人的行为遗憾
- responsible for one's actions 对自己的行为负责
- time for the action 采取行动的时候
- be quick in action 动作敏捷
- lead in action 带头
- slow in action 行动缓慢
- sudden in one's action 行动突然
- bring into action 使投入战斗,进入战斗,参战
- bring sth into action 使起作用,使开动,使生效
- call sth into action 使起作用,使开动,使生效
- come into action 使投入战斗,进入战斗,参战
- go into action 使投入战斗,进入战斗,参战
- plunge into action 立即投入行动
- roar into action 隆隆响着开始工作
- sting sb into action 激起某人的行动
- swing into action 使投入战斗,进入战斗,参战
- translate into action 变成行动,落实在行动上
- chart the course of action 计划行动的步骤
- come out of action 离职,停工
- man of action 实干家,活动家
- piece of action 一项活动
- plan of action 一项行动计划
- receiver of an action 动作的跟随者
- wide field of action 广阔的活动范围
- woman of action 女活动家
- zone of action 作战地带
- correspond words to actions 使言行一致起来
- put a stop to this action 制止这种行动
- rouse to action 使奋起,唤起某人采取行动
- spur sb to action 促使某人采取行动
- sting sb to action 激起某人的行动
- responsible to one's actions 对行为负责
- under the action of 在…的作用下
- action against sb 起诉某人
- action for divorce 离婚诉讼
- action for libel 对诽谤罪的诉讼
- action of a drug on health 药物对健康的作用
- action of rain water on iron 雨水对铁的作用
- action of the mind 精神作用
- action of folly 愚蠢的行动
- action of a drug 药物作用
- action of the heart 心脏的功能
- action of the machine 机器的作用
- action of the weather 风化作用
- action of wind on a ship's sail 风对帆船的作用
The corrosive action of copperas.出自：Joyce
Trust the man who hesitates in his speech and is quick and steady in action.出自：G. Santayana
- act of cruelty，act of folly，act of kindness等后面都是接of和抽象名词，只可用act,不可用action；
- cruel act(ion)，foolish act(ion)，kind act(ion)等前面用形容词修饰时，同act相比较，更习惯于用action；
- action和act都表示“行为”，但是前者比后者抽象，而后者比前者具体。在in word and act中，word与act都是具体的，而在in speech and action中，speech和action都是抽象的。
- action的基本意思是“行动,活动”,指某一次行动的方式或过程,尤指为制止坏的局面发展或继续的行动、对他人来说是错误或不寻常的举止行为、激动人心的或重要的活动,往往占较长的时间,包括不同步骤或许多动作,其主语常为物,而不是人。action也可指进行中的“行为”,还可指故事、戏剧或电影的“情节”,药物或化学品等的“作用; 效果”,“战斗; 作战”等。
- action在有修饰语时可加不定冠词,但在take action中,即使有形容词修饰,也不加不定冠词。
- action, act, deed, operation
这组词的共同意思是“行为”。其区别是：1.act和action常可替换,但act多指短暂的、单一的、个人的、具体的行为,强调后果; 而action多指时间较长、过程较复杂的持续动作或行为,有时也指抽象的行动,强调过程。deed指比较复杂或业已完成的行为,多指伟大的、感人的行为; operation常指几个工作的组合。2.act和deed是可数名词; action常用作可数名词,有时用作不可数名词; operation可用作可数名词或不可数名词。3.act和operation是一般用词; action是较正式用词; deed是正式用词。
- action, agency, function
这组词均可表示“作用”,其区别是：1.action和agency指一物〔事〕对另一物〔事〕的作用; 而function指物体自身的作用。2.action常从结果的角度着眼,而agency常从原因的角度着眼。3.action和function是可数名词; 而agency是不可数名词,常用于短语by〔through〕 the agency of。4.action是一般用词; agency和function是正式用词。
错句：she stole the money and was immediately sorry for her action of dishonesty.
纠正：she stole the money and was immediately sorry for her act of dishonesty.
- ☆ 14世纪中期进入英语，直接源自古法语的action；最初源自拉丁语的actionem，意为战斗。
- n.(名词) accomplishment achievement act activity committed attention deed effort enterprise execution exertion exploit feat functioning move movement operation performance performing process production progress step work legal proceedings prosecution suit battle combat conflict fighting warfare excitement movement
- actionable adj. 随时准备行动的‖actioner n. 〈口〉动作(影)片
- action:action n. 动作, 作用, 战斗, 行动, 举动, 行为, (戏剧或书中)的情节, (某一地区、领域或团体中)最能产生效果、最有趣、最有刺激性的活动vt. 对...起诉习惯用语be in ac…