- According to speech act theory, we are performing actions when we are speaking.
- Speech act theory is an important theory in the pragmatic study of language.
- The second part gives a brief recount of the ideas proposed by the main figures in the speech act theory, Austin, Searle and Jenny Thomas.
- Fictional discourse is regarded in the speech act theory developed by Austin and Searle as "non-serious" or "abnormal".
- Austin put forward "The Speech Act Theory"; then his student, an American philosopher, J.
- Austin, the founder of speech act theory, thinks that language is used to do things, to achieve a certain goal.