- be the reason or explanation for;
"The recession accounts for the slow retail business"
- give reasons for;
"Can you account for all these absences?"
- Petrochemicals today account for one fourth of all the chemicals made, in ten years this amount is expected to double.
- He has been asked to account for his conduct.
- He could not account for his absence from school.
- The treasurer has to account for the money paid to him.
- Please account for your disgraceful conduct.
[释义]英英释义：to provide an explanation or justification.贡献者: johnson_2739 2012-06-02 有用报错