- The NRC approves these reductions based on the results from the incomplete and inaccurate accident probability assessments.
- Union of Concerned Scientists also believes that accident probability calculations are seriously flawed and have found many irregularities in NRC reporting and the facts.
- Also, the NRC has failed to establish any minimum standards for the accident probability calculations, all of which are conducted by plant owners, each with their own assumptions.
- However, the major restriction for using FTA is that it's difficult to accurately assess accident probability when historical data are insufficient and factors such as human error are vague in nature.
- The two accidents happened on the selfsame day.