- The acanthus leaves stood out prominently and above the spiral scrolls (volutes) some kind of design was carved, probably a cross.
- In the centre of the top rails are stylised scallop shells, from which acanthus leaves and floral sprigs overflow across the shoulders.
- The combination of the heart motif, the scallop shell, floral sprigs and acanthus leaves is seen on a sofa in the Metropolitan Museum, New York.
- The most ornate of the three classical orders, characterized by a slender fluted column having an ornate bell-shaped capital decorated with acanthus leaves.
- The only carved decoration is the single acanthus leaf found on the hips that serve as a classical counterpoint to the shiny brass caps opposite.