- [U][S]滥用; 妄用 wrong use; the use of sth in a way that is wrong or harmful
- [U][P]虐待 unfair, cruel or violent treatment of sb
- [U]辱骂; 恶语 unkind, cruel, or rude words; rude and offensive remarks, usually made when sb is very angry
- [C]陋习; 弊端 an unjust or harmful custom
- vt. 滥用; 妄用 make bad use of sth, or use so much of sth that it harms your health; use power or knowledge unfairly or wrongly
- vt. 虐待 physically hurt; treat a person or an animal in a cruel or violent way, especially sexually
- vt. 辱骂 make rude or offensive remarks to or about sb
- cruel or inhumane treatment;
"the child showed signs of physical abuse"
- a rude expression intended to offend or hurt;
"when a student made a stupid mistake he spared them no abuse"
"they yelled insults at the visiting team"
- improper or excessive use;
"the abuse of public funds"
- treat badly;
"This boss abuses his workers"
"She is always stepping on others to get ahead"
- change the inherent purpose or function of something;
"Don't abuse the system"
"The director of the factory misused the funds intended for the health care of his workers"
- use foul or abusive language towards;
"The actress abused the policeman who gave her a parking ticket"
"The angry mother shouted at the teacher"
- use wrongly or improperly or excessively;
"Her husband often abuses alcohol"
"while she was pregnant, she abused drugs"
- The government has set up a working party to look into the problem of drug abuse.
- His political reputation was tainted by his abuse of the power.
- He greeted me with a stream of abuse.
- It's easy to abuse one's power.
- I don't consider it good for a person to be afraid of being abused.
- He abused his wife and children.
Abuses multiply when citizens are indifferent.
Child abuse is a punishable offense.
Our car has taken much abuse.
She suffered years of physical abuse.
He shouted abuse when the manager told him to leave.
An inescapable logic led me to connect these particular abuses to a whole deplorable system.
The president's attempt to correct goternmenval abuses is successful.
The boy was beaten and starved; he lived through much abuse.
The police are doing all they can to stamp out such abuses.
Woman and child abuse is forbidden in every country.
Such abuse can only be checked by the force of public opinion.
The regime had been responsible for serious human rights abuses.
The child has been subjected to a lot of abuse .
Several female students have made allegations of abuse against him.
Her parents were found guilty of gross neglect and abuse.
A shower of filthy abuse came from his lips.
He burst into a storm of abuse.
He greeted me with a hail of abuse.
He said that he had experienced a lot of verbal abuse from his co-workers.
She shouted a stream of abuse at him.
He constantly addressed her in terms of abuse .
The commission of enquiry found a number of abuses in the granting of import licences.
We must put a stop to these abuses.
The government decided to take measures to put a stop to political abuses.
Corruption is a major abuse in modern politics.
They would attack every possible leader with scandal and abuse.
The word can be so used without abuse.
Physical abuse and neglect of children are too common.
The pupils have reported abuses by their teacher.
The girls shrieked abuse at the prosecuting lawyers.
They showered abuse on that candidate.
The other driver leaned out of the car window and hurled abuse at me.
John was alleged to have hurled racist abuse at a student.
This car has taken a lot of abuse.
They talked about the uses and abuses of figures to prove things in politics.
The arbitrary punishments were an abuse of power.
This is clearly an abuse of executive power.
They have for many years been involved in a campaign against the abuse of human rights in their country.
Here are some recent abuses of the word.
To call that state a democracy is an abuse of terms.
What she did was an abuse of her position as manager.
This book is about the uses and abuses of power.
The people hated the politician for his abuse of power.
Don't abuse the confidence they have placed in you.
He has abused my confidence in him.
He could not abuse their trust.
I never expected that he would abuse the trust I placed in him.
I promised not to abuse their kindness.
I will not abuse your hospitality.
Don't abuse your authority.
Government officials shouldn't abuse their power.
He abused his authority.
He abused his privileges in activities outside his official capacity.
He never abuses his privilege.
It is important not to abuse your position as the boss's wife.
She is continually abusing her position by getting other people to do things for her.
They abused their power and rode rough-shod over the people.
I'll lend you my camera but don't abuse it.
A good workman doesn't abuse his tools.
Don't abuse your eyes by reading in a bad light.
Kevin abused his eyesight by watching too much TV.
Don't abuse your health by working like that.
He abuses alcohol by drinking too much.
Too many people abuse alcohol.
He abused his cat.
Stop abusing the dog!
A good rider never abuses his horse.
The man abused his wife by hitting her often.
The serf-owners had the right to beat, abuse or even kill the serfs at will.
“Mr. Bennet, how can you abuse your own children in such a way!”
He was always abusing people.
They abused each other.
Don't abuse your friend.
He abused me a little for being so slow.
Instead of debating the issues the candidates abused each other.
He abused me and of course I answered rather hotly.
Most of the foremen abused the workmen in the foulest languages.
It is one of those cities where the people are really unfriendly and abuse you all the time.
She abused him roundly for his neglect.
I asked him to desist from abusing me in private to newspaper editors.
The privilege was abused.
The author felt abused by his agent on the grounds of neglect and indifference.
“Think still again,” he said,“and do not act rashly. The best of God's gifts may be abused, and yet they are all good.”
She has been much abused.
The arrested men have been physically abused .
Several of the children had been sexually abused.
Social workers discovered that the child had been abused by her father.
The patients were often physically abused or drugged.
The young worker was very much abused by his boss, but he held in his temper.
He was abused in the press.
- open to abuse
可能被滥用的 capable of being abused
All polling methods are potentially open to abuse. 所有的民意调查方法都有可能被滥用。
I'm afraid the position is open to abuse. 恐怕这个职位容易使人滥用职权。
There is no freedom that is not open to abuse . 没有不被滥用的自由。
- 可能被滥用的 capable of being abused
- direct abuse against 辱骂
- heap abuse on sb 肆意谩骂某人
- hurl abuse at 谩骂
- keep abuse on 对…破口大骂
- shout abuse 破口大骂
- shower abuse on sb 痛骂某人
- take abuse 挨骂
- check abuses 防止弊病
- correct an abuse 匡正时弊; 纠正陋习
- curb abuses 防止弊病
- eliminate abuses 根除弊端
- expose contemporary social abuses 揭露社会时弊
- prevent abuses 防治弊病
- reform abuses 革除弊端
- remedy an abuse 匡正时弊; 纠正陋习
- root up abuses 根除弊端
- wipe out abuses 根除弊端
- put an end to abuses 废止恶习
- crying abuse 亟待根除的弊端
- foul-mouthed abuse 下流的谩骂
- horrifying abuse 可怕的虐待
- personal abuse 人身攻击
- physical abuse 肉体摧残
- sexual abuse 性虐待
- shocking abuse 骇人听闻的虐待
- verbal abuse 口头辱骂
- abuse of authority 滥用权力
- abuse of health 糟蹋健康
- abuse of privileges 滥用特权
- abuse of the word 被滥用的词
- abuse of trust 滥用信任
- abuses of the age 时弊
Dickens was careful to castigate abuses which were being reformed.出自：W. R. Inge
I'm in a position of trust and privilege..and I take care not to abuse it.出自：M. Frayn
- abuse的基本意思是用言语或行动不正确地、不公平地、有伤害地对待某人或使用某物。作“滥用; 妄用”解时多带有“故意地”或“任意地”含义；作“虐待”解时尤指对儿童或无力防止者；作“辱骂; 恶语”解时可指“辱骂”行为,也可指所使用的“恶语”,尤指使用侮辱性或粗鲁的语言表示个人的不满,常暗指说话者的愤怒。
- abuse作“滥用; 妄用”解时通常用作不可数名词,有时也用作单数名词,即其前有不定冠词a,其后有of引导的介词短语；作“虐待”解时通常用作不可数名词,有时也用作复数名词。
- 关于abuse的可数性,有人认为作“滥用”解时是不可数名词和单数名词,作“虐待”解时是不可数名词和复数名词; 也有人认为作此二解时均为不可数名词和单数名词。
- abuse用作动词时的意思与用作名词时大致相同。作“滥用; 妄用”解时可指滥用、妄用权力,也可指滥用药物、酗酒等以致危害健康; 作“虐待; 伤害”解时主要指肉体上的虐待、残害,尤指性虐待,也可指恶语相加、诋毁。
- ☆ 15世纪初期入进英语，直接源自中世纪法语的abuser，意为用光，误用；最初源自拉丁语的abusus，意为误用。
- n.(名词) imposition improper use misapplication misuse unfair use cruelty harming ill-use injury maltreatment mistreatment criticism cursing defamation harsh language insulting language insults reproach scolding slander
- v.(动词) harm hurt ill-treat ill-use impose upon injure maltreat mistreat misuse use improperly criticize curse defame denounce insult reproach scold slander speak harshly to speak ill of
- abuser n. 辱骂的人‖abusive adj. 辱骂的; 恶语的; 诽谤的; 虐待的
- abuses:abuse n. 滥用, 虐待, 辱骂, 陋习, 弊端v. 滥用, 虐待, 辱骂 英英解释:名词abuse:1. cruel or inhumane treatment同义词：maltreatment…