- vt. 吸收；吸引 ... 的注意；吞并；承受
- vt. 吸收 take in a liquid, gas or other substance from the surface or space around
- vt. 使并入; 吞并 make sth smaller become part of sth larger
- vt. 理解; 掌握 take sth into the mind and learn or understand it
- vt. 吸引全部注意力; 使全神贯注 interest sb very much so that they pay no attention to anything else; completely fill the attention of
- vt. 减轻…的作用 reduce the effect of a blow, hit, etc.; reduce the harmful effects of a physical force
- vt. 耗费,耗去 use up a large supply of sth, especially money or time
- vt. 承受; 承担,对付 deal with changes, effects, costs, etc.
"The liquids, light, and gases absorb"
take up mentally;
"he absorbed the knowledge or beliefs of his tribe"
take up, as of debts or payments;
"absorb the costs for something"
take in, also metaphorically;
"The sponge absorbs water well"
"She drew strength from the minister's words"
cause to become one with;
"The sales tax is absorbed into the state income tax"
suck or take up or in;
"A black star absorbs all matter"
devote (oneself) fully to;
"He immersed himself into his studies"
assimilate or take in;
"The immigrants were quickly absorbed into society"
consume all of one's attention or time;
"Her interest in butterflies absorbs her completely"
- Dry sand absorbs water.
- Did you absorb everything the professor said?
- His business absorbs him.
- Large nations shouldn't absorb smaller ones.
- She won't be able to absorb another heavy blow.
- Paper absorbs moisture.
- A sponge absorbs water easily.
- Dry earth absorbs water quickly.
- The towel absorbed water from the sink.
- Towels absorb moisture.
- This kind of material absorbs water easily.
- Frogs absorb water through their skins.
- Salt absorbs moisture from the air.
- The timber expands as it absorbs moisture from the atmosphere.
- He used thick paper to absorb the ink.
- This blotting paper absorbs ink well.
- Paper that absorbs ink is called blotting paper.
- I used a piece of blotting paper to absorb the spilt ink.
- Plants absorb carbon dioxide.
- Plants absorb energy from the sun.
- Rugs absorb sounds and make a house quieter.
- Black cloth absorbs light.
- The walls of the house absorb heat during the day.
- Most solar heating systems use large aluminum or alloy sheets, painted black to absorb the sun's heat.
- The rocks absorb more energy than they reflect.
- The planes are fitted with a device that absorbs enemy radar signals.
- The body quickly absorbs aspirin.
- The larger firm absorbed the smaller one.
- The big enterprise absorbs the medium-sized and the small ones, that's the absolute law of capitalist competition.
- The company has gradually absorbed its smaller rivals.
- We must absorb as much information as possible.
- I had just about time to absorb this information.
- I read and re-read the letter, trying to absorb its contents.
- He had absorbed the point of view of his colleagues.
- Over the centuries, they gradually absorbed Islamic ideas about design and architecture.
- She absorbs new ideas very quickly.
- They absorbed a great deal of the Roman culture.
- Did you absorb everything the teacher said?
- Have you absorbed all the details of the plan?
- She absorbed everything in the book.
- The clever boy absorbed all the knowledge that his teachers could give him.
- We had to absorb a lot of new information very quickly.
- So many new ideas! It's all rather too much for me to absorb all at once.
- My business absorbs me.
- History is a subject that absorbs him.
- This work had absorbed him for several years.
- The acrobatic tricks absorbed the children.
- International affairs absorb his attention.
- The study of the English language absorbs all his attention.
- An airplane overhead completely absorbed the boy's attention.
- The lecture completely absorbed the attention of the audience.
- The task absorbed all his energies.
- This tennis racket absorbs shock on impact.
- Jump with your knees bent, so they absorb less impact.
- The barrier absorbed the main impact on the crash.
- Buffers absorbed most of the shock.
- Car bumpers are designed to absorb some of the impact.
- Agricultural subsidies absorb about half the EU's income.
- Defense spending absorbs almost 20% of the country's money.
- Salaries and so on will probably absorb all the profits.
- The new proposals would absorb 80 billion of the federal budgets.
- The task absorbed his time.
- This job absorbs all of my time and energy.
- Her work absorbed all her energies.
- Running the supermarket absorbs all his energies.
- The role of administrator absorbed much of Ben's energy.
- The company is unable to absorb such huge losses.
- We will not absorb these charges.
- Oil companies say they will absorb these price rises, and not pass them on customers.
- The country simply cannot absorb this influx of refugees.
- The market could not absorb the increased sugar production.
- The societies of the Highlands were able to absorb these changes.
- The heat is absorbed by the water.
- I was completely absorbed by your letter.
- He is utterly absorbed by the film's show unfolding.
- Be quiet, children. I am absorbed by the mathematical problem.
- Most of the refugees were absorbed by the growing service sector.
- The surrounding villages have been absorbed by the growing city.
- Small businesses are absorbed by large ones.
- The effects of the job losses have been partially absorbed by the increase in training schemes.
- be absorbed in〔with〕
全神贯注于,专心致志于give all one's attention to sth or doing sth
be absorbed in sb/oneself
I had never met anyone so absorbed in himself as he seemed.
我从来没有见过像他那样专心致志的人。be absorbed in〔with〕 sth/v-ing
I was absorbed in a book and didn't hear you call.
Kevin is absorbed in the cartoon.
They are absorbed in the experiment.
He was absorbed in his study〔work〕.
Mary was absorbed in thought.
She was absorbed in her thoughts.
All of us were deeply absorbed in happy reminiscences.
For Marx, work had become a passion, and he was so absorbed in it that he often forgot his meals.
He seemed to be more absorbed in his pipe than in what you were saying.
His whole soul is absorbed in saving his country.
He had been so absorbed in watching the car passing by that he didn't notice his friends coming.
She was absorbed with the mathematical problem.
Everyone was absorbed with the beautiful scenery.
He had been so absorbed with watching the building that he hadn't heard footsteps on the gravel path.
- absorb into (v.+prep.)
把…并入mix or merge sth into
absorb sth into sth
Animals absorb foods into their bodies.
The cream is easily absorbed into the skin.
The drug is quickly absorbed into the bloodstream.
Certain chemicals are easily absorbed into the bloodstream, while others are not.
某些化学药品很容易溶于血液,有些则不行。absorb sb/sth into sb/sth
That country had absorbed some small states into her empire.
People of many different nationalities have, over the years, been absorbed into the population of the city.
Rebel militias were simply absorbed into the national army.
Most little shops have been absorbed into big businesses.
The small firms were absorbed into large cartels.
The surrounding small towns have been absorbed into the city.
Our countryside is increasingly being absorbed into the large cities.
- absorb ammonia in water 用水吸收氨
- absorb another country 吞并另一个国家
- absorb a small company 合并一个小公司
- absorb a small state 吞并一个小国家
- absorb as much information as possible 尽可能多地吸收信息
- absorb attention 吸引注意力
- absorb carbon dioxide 吸收二氧化碳
- absorb energy 吸收能量
- absorb essence and discard dross 吸取精华,剔除糟粕
- absorb essence and reject dross 吸取精华,剔除糟粕
- absorb experience 吸取经验
- absorb foods 吸收食物
- absorb gas 吸气
- absorb heat 吸热
- absorb ink 吸墨水
- absorb interest 吸引兴趣
- absorb knowledge 掌握知识
- absorb light 吸收光
- absorb loss 承担亏损
- absorb millions of immigrants 吸收并同化数以百万计的移民
- absorb moisture 吸收潮气
- absorb new subscribers 吸收新订户
- absorb noise 吸收噪音
- absorb nutrition 吸收营养
- absorb sb's attention 吸引某人的注意力
- absorb shares 吸收股份
- absorb shock 减震
- absorb sound 吸收声音
- absorb sunlight 吸收阳光
- absorb the rain 吸收雨水
- absorb water 吸水
- absorb what is useful 吸收有用的东西
- absorb what is worthwhile 吸收有价值的东西
- absorb workload 承担工作量
- absorb completely 完全吸收
- absorb immediately 立即吸收
- absorb incessantly 持续不断地吸收
- absorb intelligently 明智地吸收
- absorb partially 部分吸收
- absorb passively 消极地吸收
- absorb properly 适当地吸收
- absorb quickly 迅速吸收
- absorb rapidly 迅速吸收
- absorb shortly 立即吸收
- absorb slowly 慢慢地吸收
- absorb totally 全部吸收
- absorb utterly 完全吸收
- absorb wholly 完全吸收
- absorb from 从…吸收
- absorb into 把…吞〔并〕入…
- absorb sth from 从…吸收
- be absorbed by 全神贯注在…上,专心于
- be absorbed by the problem 全神贯注于这个问题上
- be absorbed in 全神贯注在…上,专心于
- be absorbed in study 埋头学习
- be absorbed in the work 埋头工作
- be absorbed in the experiment 专心于实验
- be absorbed in thoughts 陷于沉思
- be absorbed in (reading) a book 专心读书
- be absorbed with 全神贯注在…上,专心于
- be absorbed with the problem 全神贯注于这个问题上
The conquered Chinese..have already begun to absorb their conquerors.出自： E. O
The realistic novel reached out to absorb every new quality and locus of experience.出自： G. Steiner
- absorb的基本意思是“吸收”,可指吸收液体、气体、光、热、能等,也指吸收抽象的知识、文化、经验、教训、思想、方法等,含有“以此丰富了吸收者”之意,并暗示“吸收”的渐进性和彻底性。absorb作“吞并; 并入”解时指把一个较小的国家、团体或组织变成一个较大的国家、团体或组织的一部分,被吞并者失去了自己原有的个性或特征。
- absorb作“吸收”解时主语可以是人,也可以是物,宾语则是无生命的事或物;作“吞并”解时主语和宾语都是国家、团体或组织;作“使全神贯注”解时主语是人、事或物,宾语是人或人的精力、兴趣等;作“减轻…的作用”解时主要用于打击、碰撞等;作“耗费,耗去”解时主要用于大量的金钱、时间等;作“承受; 承担,对付 ”解时主要用于变化、结果、费用等。
- absorb作“吸收”“吞并”“使全神贯注”解时常用于被动结构。be absorbed作“聚精会神地干某事”解时应接“in+动名词”,不能接动词不定式。
- absorb, assimilate, digest
- 2.在语气上, assimilate＞digest＞absorb。
- absorb, suck
- 1.absorb主要是“吸收”水、光或热等; suck则是“吸”或“饮”汁、水或饮料,还可表示“吸”烟。
- 2.suck还可表示被卷入某项事物之中; absorb无此义。
- ☆ 15世纪进入英语，直接源自法语的absorber；最初源自拉丁语的sbsorbere，意为吞掉，吸光。
- soak up
- suck up
- take in completely
- eat up
- take up
- absorbent adj. & n. 有吸收能力的(东西); 吸收剂‖absorbing adj. 非常吸引人的,引人入胜的