- [U][C]缺席; 不在 the fact of sb being away from a place where they are usually expected to be; the occasion or period of time when sb is away
- [C]不存在; 缺乏 the fact of sb/sth not existing or not being available; non-existence; lack
the state of being absent;
"he was surprised by the absence of any explanation"
failure to be present
the time interval during which something or somebody is away;
"he visited during my absence"
the occurrence of an abrupt, transient loss or impairment of consciousness (which is not subsequently remembered), sometimes with light twitching, fluttering eyelids, etc.; common in petit mal epilepsy
- His long absence raised fears about his safety.
- What was the real reason for your absence?
- We are in the absence of experience.
- The absence of color in that drawing make it dull.
- Absence increased as a result of the spread of the disease.
- Absence diminished as the new regulations are enforced.
- Absence and distance make the overseas Chinese heart increasingly fond of their homeland.
- His frequent and prolonged absences were making his wife suspicious.
- Her husband's absence increased the weight on her shoulders.
- He didn't notice your absence.
- He made up a story to explain his absence.
- Nobody could explain his absence.
- I was much disappointed at his absence.
- His illness accounts for his absence.
- He went to the dean to ask for a two-day leave of absence.
- He has got leave of absence for a week.
- It is not John's intention to take advantage of her absence.
- We are concerned about your child's frequent absences.
- After a long absence, he has returned to doing TV work.
- You were conspicuous by your absence yesterday.
- Behave yourself during my absence.
- Please act for me during my absence.
- They remained in their seats during my absence.
- Please look after my office during my absence at home.
- Caroline will be in charge of the office during my absence.
- A new manager was appointed during your absence.
- A stranger brought you this letter during your absence.
- We did not receive any news during his long absence.
- She returned from a day's absence.
- A good many of the degrees were conferred in absence.
- I am on leave of absence.
- Many families today were conscious of absences.
- The apparent cause of his absence was a bad cold.
- He explained his silence by his absence at the battlefront.
- It happened during his absence for business in London.
- Ade's constant absences from work made his boss very angry.
- His long illness and consequent absence from school delayed his progress of study.
- His absences from work caused trouble.
- His several absences from class worried his teacher.
- They discovered that absence from each other left a painful void.
- There were 140 absences from school today.
- Only then had I found his absence from London.
- He's noted for his frequent absences from work.
- Absence of mind may have bad results.
- Absence of sunlight caused the plants to die.
- The absence of sunlight made it difficult to take good pictures.
- The absence of electricity made matters worse.
- The teacher marked the absence of the students.
- He noticed the absence of illustrations in that dictionary.
- He shows an absence of initiative.
- She took a year's leave of absence from her job.
- He returns to the England team after a long absence from international football.
- He was desperately eager to be back after more than a week's absence from school.
- You have a lame excuse for your absence from classes yesterday.
- He could not account for his absence from classes.
- She has had repeated absences from work this year.
- We noticed his frequent absence from the job.
- Owing to his absences from work, they will deduct his bonus from his pay.
- He returned home after an absence of two years.
- She seemed pale from the absence of all cosmetics.
- She told the story with a complete absence of any humor.
- The police are worried about the absence of proof in case of any other explanation.
- Absolute liberty is absence of restraint.
- A major problem is the absence of water.
- Darkness is the absence of light.
- in sb's absence
当某人不在时while sb is not there
- in the absence of
缺乏,不存在 the fact of sb/sth not existing or not being available; a lack of sth
- absence of mind 心不在焉
- absence without leave 旷职(无故缺席)...
- absence of nose 鼻缺失
- absence of uterus 子宫缺失
- absence test [计] 缺席测试, ...
- absence debtor 失踪债务人
- Congenital absence 先天性缺失
- code absence 缺码, 无码
- absence rate 缺勤率
- absence of uvula 悬雍垂缺失
- absence of penis 阴茎缺失
- absence of restrictions 无约束
- absence of urethra 尿道缺失
- deadlock absence 死锁消除
- leave of absence 休假
- in the absence of 在 ... 不在场的...
- Salt water and absence wash away love. [谚]远航久别恩情疏...
- conspicuous by one's absence 因缺席而引人注目...
- in sb's absence 在某人不在时, 在某...
I was..sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence.出自： B. Behan
Her absences..were spent in mysterious ploys of her own.出自： B. Pym
- absence的基本意思是某人“缺席; 离开; 不在场”,通常指该在而“不在”。指“不在”或“缺席”这一事实时是不可数名词; 指“不在场的次数或时间”时是可数名词,有复数形式。引申可表示某人、某物或某事“缺乏”或者“不存在”,即不具有应具备或想要的东西。
- absence 接介词 from表示“离开某地,不在某地”; 接介词 at 或 in表示“不在某地而在他处”; 接介词of表示某人、某物或者某事物“缺乏”或者“不存在”。而in absence意为“在缺乏或不存在的情况下”; in sb's absence意为“当某人不在时,在某人离开时”; in the absence of则意为“在缺少…时”。
- absence from意为“不在……地方”，而absence in 则意为“在……地方”，如absence from Shanghai意为“不在上海”，absence in Shanghai则意为“在上海”，同时还有“不在它处而在上海”之意；
- 涉及不会动的的东西时，absence in ...意为“不在……里”或“在……里没有”，如the absence of this word in that dictionary 意为“这词不在那字典里”，惯用in而不是from。
- absence, lack, shortage, want
- 1.从内容上说:absence指在某一特定的场合应具备或想要的某一事物或事实; lack指应具备或需要的东西; shortage指按规定应具备或需要的数量; want则指缺少必不可少的东西,尤指为一整体的完美所必须具备的东西。
- 2.从程度上说:absence指根本就不存在; lack指完全没有或不够充足; shortage指部分短缺或开始减少; want则指缺少。
- 3.从用法上说:absence, lack和want都是不可数名词,间或可加不定冠词; 而shortage可用作不可数名词,也可用作可数名词。
- in sb's absence
- during sb's absence
- in the absence of a chairman
- in the absence of the chairman
- ☆ 14世纪晚期进入英语，直接源自古法语的absence，意为离开；最初源自拉丁语的absens，意为不在场，离开。
- not being present