shedding of flowers and leaves and fruit following formation of scar tissue in a plant
the act of cutting something off
- An abscission zone occurs at the base of the organ.
- It is antagonistic to abscisic acid in abscission.
- Abscission of the tightly rolled, needlelike tips of the injured leaves quite often occurred.
- When abscission occurred,total sugar and soluble protein were decreased,but reducing sugar was increased.
- It is important in the degradation of plant cell walls in living plants (e.g. in leaf abscission).
- For conifers which do not form an abscission layer at the base of the cone, shakers have been partially or completely unsuccessful.