- 并列,并排 side by side (with sb/sth) and facing the same way
- being up to particular standard or level especially in being up to date in knowledge;
"kept abreast of the latest developments"
"constant revision keeps the book au courant"
"always au fait on the latest events"
"up on the news"
- alongside each other, facing in the same direction
- The four of them walked abreast.
- They walked two or three abreast.
- Hayes' horse fell abreast of his father's.
- Many people stood abreast to listen to him.
- Many people get abreast of what is gong on by reading newspapers.
- We must keep abreast of [with] the times.
Five cars stood abreast.
They lined up six abreast.
- be〔keep〕 abreast of〔with〕
(使)保持与…并列; 了解…的最新情况(cause to) remain level with (sb or sth ahead );(cause to) know the most recent facts about be〔keep〕 abreast of〔with〕 sb/sth
Brooks was abreast of the leading runner for a few minutes but then fell behind.布鲁克斯赶上领先的赛跑运动员好几分钟,可是后来落后了。
This building is abreast of the tip of the island.这幢建筑物与该岛的尖端齐头。
Read the papers if you want to keep abreast of time.如果你想跟上时代就要看报。
She kept abreast with the flood of communications that had poured in.她及时回复如雪片般飞来的大批信件。keep sth abreast of〔with〕 sth
Even this arrangement did not keep wages abreast of the rising living cost.即使这样的安排也不能使工资水平跟上日益上涨的生活费用。
- (使)保持与…并列; 了解…的最新情况(cause to) remain level with (sb or sth ahead );(cause to) know the most recent facts about be〔keep〕 abreast of〔with〕 sb/sth
They..passed in on to the grass, four abreast.出自：D. H. Lawrence
Three policemen came down the hall abreast, in step.出自：J. Irving
- abreast的基本意思是“并列,并排”,在句中常用作状语(多位于词尾)或表语，用作表语时常用于be〔keep〕 abreast of〔with〕短语中。
[释义]adj. 并排的；肩并肩的贡献者: siguozhe 2012-07-10 有用报错
- abreast:abreast adv. 并肩地, 并排地习惯用语get abreast of 与...并驾齐驱keep abreast of 与...并进, 跟上, 不落后于keep abreast of with…