- 能够…的 having the physical or mental power, skill, time, money, opportunity, etc. needed to do sth
- 聪明的,能干的 intelligent or good at doing sth
- (usually followed by `to') having the necessary means or skill or know-how or authority to do something;
"able to swim"
"she was able to program her computer"
"we were at last able to buy a car"
"able to get a grant for the project"
- have the skills and qualifications to do things well;
"a capable administrator"
"children as young as 14 can be extremely capable and dependable"
- having inherent physical or mental ability or capacity;
"able to learn"
"human beings are able to walk on two feet"
"Superman is able to leap tall buildings"
- having a strong healthy body;
"an able seaman"
"every able-bodied young man served in the army"
- We shall be able to deal with all sorts of problem.
- She bet me 20 that I wouldn't be able to give up smoking.
- Free will makes us able to choose our way of life.
- By no means was he able to handle it.
- He is an able man.
- Difficulties help to forge people into able folk.
She is an able leader.
He's an able speaker.
He is an able actor.
He is an able engineer.
She is a very able driver.
He was acknowledged as an able statesman.
The able pilot successfully landed the crippled plane on the road.
There are many able students in our institute.
She's an abler teacher than he is.
Brooks is the most able student in the class.
He is the ablest man I know.
This problem is now being looked at by some of the ablest scientists in the country.
That's an able portrait.
The audience applauded his able speech.
The lawyer put forward an able defence of his client.
The counterplot was an able achievement.
The man made a very able speech.
Ami is an infant barely able to walk.
She seems very able.
The general impression at the studio was that he was able.
He could almost always get a job, because he was so able.
As long as he was physically able, he went to work in the fields.
As long as they are physically able,they tend to live on their own.
He is the most able.
She's by far the ablest in the class.
Leave real living to people who are able for it.
Leave the work for those who are able for it.
He felt able for the journey.
Mary is able for four helpings of dessert.
He was not able for much work.
He was not so able in management as expected.
- be able to
能够做…事 S+be+～+to do sth
I am able to swim.我会游泳。
She is quite able to teach.她很会教书。
I am able to pay you now.我现在能付给你钱了。
I don't think he is able to take any more bad news.我想他再受不了更多的坏消息了。
I don't think he's able to do this type of work.我认为他不能胜任这样的工作。
He is well able to take care of himself.他很会照顾自己。
He is able to write music.他会作曲。
He is financially able to establish a home.他在经济上有能力成家。
I was in a small boat during the storm, but it stopped after half an hour and I was able to breathe again.暴风雨期间我正在一艘小船上，但半个小时后暴风雨就停了，我这才松了一口气。
I was able to run away, but Tony wasn't.我逃走了,但是托尼却未能逃脱。
He was able to jump into the sea before the boat was blown up.船被炸掉以前他就跳到海里了。
In this way, he was able to solve the mystery.就这样,他揭开了谜底。
By the time he graduated from college, he was able to speak three foreign languages.大学毕业时,他已经能够说三种外语了。
The night was clear and we were able to see the stars.夜空明朗,我们得以看见星星。
It was very difficult to make a heavy machine fly. But they were able to make it fly.使很重的机器飞起来是很困难的,但是他们终于使它飞了起来。
Then they beached the ship on the shore where they were able to repair the damage.然后他们把船拖到岸上,修好了破损的地方。
I'm sorry that I wasn't able to phone you yesterday.对不起,昨天我没能打电话给你。
He was not able to see the difference.他看不出差别来。
They will be able to finish the work tomorrow.他们明天能完成这项工作。
I believe that you will be able to speak English fluently in one month.我相信你一个月内能流利地说英语。
After studying differential calculus you will be able to solve these mathematical problems.学了微积分之后,你们就能够解这些数学题了。
I hope you will be able to speak English better soon.我希望你不久就能把英语讲得更好。
We shall be able to reach our destination tomorrow.我们明天可以到达目的地了。
Have the nautical chart at your fingertips, and you'll be able to steer your ship.熟水路才能划好船。
I won't be able to see him today.今天我不可能去看他。
Will you be able to finish the work before Sunday?你能在星期天前完成这项工作吗?
Will you be able to come this afternoon?今天下午你能来吗?
Will she be able to cope with the work?她能够应付这项工作吗？
He said that he was having financial difficulties and wasn't able to pay his bills.他说他经济上有困难,无法付账。
I haven't been able to go.我没能去成。
I haven't been able to get in touch with her.我一直没能跟她联系上。
He has not been able to submit his report on time.他没能如期交上报告。
He's never been able to admit to his mistake.他从不承认自己的错误。
They have not been able to take a rest for three days.他们已经一连三天未能休息了。
Had it not been for his help, they would not have been able to settle their dispute.如果没有他的帮助,他们就不能解决他们的分歧。
I may be able to see you tomorrow.我明天可能去看你。
You may not be able to discriminate between the sundry articles, but you can cross-check them.不怕不识货,就怕货比货。
You might be able to persuade him.也许你能够说服他。
If you give a blow, you must be able to take one.如果你想打人一拳,就得能承受得住一击。
I used to be able to swim like a fish.从前我能像鱼一般游泳。
The other planets may not be able to support life, but it isn't easy on this one either.别的星球也许难以维持生命,可是在这个星球上也不容易。
He seemed able to put complicated thoughts in simple words.也许他能用简洁的语言把复杂的思想表达出来。
I don't feel able to go on with reading it.我感觉不能继续看下去了。
I hope to be able to do the work.我希望能干得了这项工作。
I regret not being able to help her.我很遗憾未能帮助她。
I love the house — it's wonderful being able to see the sea from my window.我喜欢这房子——从我的窗口可以看见大海,太好了。
Paul isn't able to come to the party because he is ill.保罗不能来参加聚会,因为他病了。
Mary's more able to help you than I am.玛丽比我更能够帮助你。
Granny is still able to read without glasses.奶奶还能够不戴眼镜看书呢。
My wife is able to sing and dance.我妻子能歌善舞。
The young man is able to do great things.那个年轻人能干大事。
The workers are able to improve the machine.工人们能改进这台机器。
Most children are able to walk before they are able to talk.多数孩子在会说话前就会走路了。
The patient was soon able to sit up.病人很快就能坐起来了。
One day man will be able to control some unknown factors of weather.总有一天人类能够控制天气的某些未知因素。
Birds are able to fly.鸟儿会飞。
The dog is able to count.那条狗能数数。
Is the electronic computer able to think?电子计算机能够思考吗？
The satellites are able to observe the changes of climate on earth by means of remote sensors.人造卫星能够利用遥感观测地球上的气候变化。
The answering machine is able to store messages that are up to two minutes in length.录音电话能够录存长达两分钟的信息。
Heat is able to cure breast tumours in some animals.高温可以治疗某些动物的乳房肿瘤。
The rage of a wild boar is able to spoil more than one wood.野猪发怒毁树多。
Once you've had some sleep you'll feel better able to cope.只要睡上一会儿，你就会觉得更能应付了。
David is more able to deal with this problem than I am.大卫比我更有能力处理这个问题。用于be ～ed结构
He was able to be heard.他能被人听到。
A good auditorium will assure that the sound is able to be heard from every seat.好的礼堂得保证每个座位的听众都听得到声音。
The difficulties were able to be overcome by the students of our class.我们班的同学能够克服这些困难。S+be+～+to be+ n./adj.
He was able to be cold about her now. It was wartime. They were enemies.此时，他得以对她表现冷酷，因为这是战时，他们又是仇人。
- 能够做…事 S+be+～+to do sth
- be able to cut
能办事，有管理能力 S+be+～+to cut sth
He's not able to cut his responsibilities like we thought.他并不像我们想象的那样能很好地履行自己的职责。
Do you think you're able to cut it?你看这件事你干得了吗？
- 能办事，有管理能力 S+be+～+to cut sth
- be able to take
经受得住（某事） S+be+～+to take sth
I don't think he is able to take any more bad news.我想他再也经受不住坏消息了。
- 经受得住（某事） S+be+～+to take sth
- able administrator 干练得力的行政官员
- able child 能干的孩子
- able defence 漂亮的辩护
- able doctor 能干的大夫
- able fellow 能干的小伙子
- able helper 得力的助手
- able lawyer 能干的律师
- able leader 有才干的领导人
- able man 能干的人
- able manager 能干的经理
- able orator 出色的演说家
- able performance 有水平的演出
- able seaman 一等水兵
- able secretary 能干的秘书
- able speech 有说服力的演说
- able student 有才能的学生
- able teacher 能力佳的教师
- able woman 能干的女人
- able author 才华出众的作者
- able book 有分量的书
- barely able 仅能；勉强能；几乎不能
- better able 更能够
- extremely able 非常聪明；异常能干
- financially able 经济上有能力
- fairly able 颇聪明
- hardly able 仅能；勉强能；几乎不能
- just able 只能
- less able 更不能
- more able 更能够
- only just able 仅能；勉强能；几乎不能
- perfectly able 完全能够
- physically able 体力上能行
- poorly able 勉强能够
- quite able 非常有能力
- reasonably able 能力还可以
- scarcely able 仅能；勉强能；几乎不能
- very able 很有能力；非常聪明
- well able 非常有能力
- be able to answer 有能力回答
- be able to come 能够来
- be able to cure 能够治愈
- be able to finish 有能力完成
- be able to go 能够去
- be able to help 能够帮助
- be able to inherit 有资格继承
- be able to move 能移动
- be able to persuade 能说服
- be able to read 能读书
- be able to see 能看见
- be able to sit up 能坐起来
- be able to swim 会游泳
- be able to teach 有能力教
- be able to vote 有资格投票
- be able to walk 能行走
The Hands are the most habil members of the body.出自：T. Betterton
And life, by this death abled, shall controule Death.出自：Donne
able常以be able + 不定式的形式出现，与can 同义。有些具体情况下只能用 be able，而不能用 can。
Some people are able to/can walk on their hands.
One day，scientists will be able to find a cure for cancer.
（NOT...will can find...)
The mistake is able to be corrected.
该句应改作The mistake is capable of being corrected.
- 指能力时，不一定意味着实行，如“经过了两个月的步行，他们到达了目的地”通常不说 After a two-month tramp, they were able to reach their destination.而是用 After a two-month tramp they reached their destination。
- able是具有评价意义的形容词,用于表示人的某种特点。able有两层含义:一是“能够”(尤用于不使用can或could的时态中); 二是“能干”。前者指因具有体力、智力、技能、时间、财力或机遇等而具有某种能力,通常也指应付一件事情的能力，有时还可表示“称职的”。后者指具有某种才干,即在智力、技巧、知识或能力等方面超过平均水平,胜人一筹,不仅指聪明,也含有经受过实际锻炼之意。
- 除be外, able还可用在其他系动词如seem, feel等之后。
- able作“聪明的,能干的”解时可受副词very, quite, more, better, poorly等修饰。
- able作“能够…的”解时比较级和最高级可用abler/ablest,也可用more able/most able。作“聪明的,能干的”解时比较级和最高级用abler/ablest。
- 有人认为be able to do sth中的to do sth是形容词able的补语,不过更多的是把be able to看作是一个起助动词作用的短语。
- able, capable
- He is a capable lawyer.
- He is an able lawyer.
- He's an able man who you can fall back on.
- The scandal is capable of the basest tricks.
4.用作表语时, able后接动词不定式; capable后接“of+名词或动名词”。试比较下面两句:
- The doctor performs a very able operation.
- Glass, which breaks at a blow, is, nevertheless, cap- able of withstanding great pressure.
- He is able to look after〔capable of looking after〕 him- self now.
- He is capable of hard work.
- She is not able to dance tonight.她今晚不能跳舞。
- The lame girl is not capable of learning to dance.
- He is able to overcome all kinds of difficulties.
- This car is capable of carrying five persons.
- able, enable
这两个词都可接动词不定式。其区别在于:1.able to- v 的意思是“能够”; 而enable to- v 的意思是“使能够”。2.able是形容词; 而enable是动词,其后须接宾语。
- be able to, can
这两者都有“能”的意思。其区别在于:1.can还可表示“可以”“可能”,即具有某种感情色彩。例如:Can I come in?我可以进来吗?That can't be true.那不可能是真的。以上两句都不可换用be able to。2.can只有现在时和过去时两种形式,而be able to则有多种时态形式。试比较下面两句:
3.在be able to之前可加用另外一个助动词,且多用于否定或疑问结构,而can则无此用法。4.用于否定结构, be able to表达一时情况,而can则表达往常情况。试比较下面两句:
- Will you be able to come tomorrow?
- This factory has been able to produce newly-devised sewing machines.
5.be able to后可接系表结构,表示一种状态或性质;而can没有这种用法。例如:He was able to be cold about her now.他现在对她可能有些冷淡。6.be able to有非谓语动词形式,而can则没有。例如:I hope to be able to do the work.我希望能做这项工作。
- He is not able to swim today.
- He can't swim at all.
- was/were able to, could
这两者的共同意思是“过去能够”。其区别在于:1.was/were able to只能表示一次性事件,不能表示经常性事件; 而could可以用来表示习惯性动作的完成。例如:I could run after a bus and catch it twenty years ago, but I can't do that now.20年前我能追上公共汽车,现在不行了。2.was/were able to不仅表示过去的能力与可能性,还表示“能够并确实做到”,相当于managed to do,而且重点往往在于“成功地实行”; 而could主要表示“潜在的能力”。例如:
- I was able to pass the examination.
- I could pass the examination.
- I ran after the bus, but couldn't〔wasn't able to〕 catch it.我跑着追那辆公共汽车,但没能追上。
误 After a two-month tramp they were able to reach their destination.
正 After a two-month tramp they reached their destination.
正 After a two-month tramp they succeeded in reaching their destination.
正 After a two-month tramp they managed to reach their destination.
误 This work wasn't able to be finished in a week.
正 This work can't be finished in a week.
误 It will be able to see you on Sunday.
正 It will be possible to see you on Sunday.
误 I'll be possible to see you on Sunday.
正 I'll be able to see you on Sunday.
析 非生物名词作主语时用can或be possible to；“人”作主语时才用be able to。
错句：he told the commons his objective was to ensure that the ceasefire was able to be turned into a permanent peace.
纠正：he told the commons his objective was to ensure that the ceasefire could be turned into a permanent peace.
- ☆ 14世纪中期入英进语，直接源自古法语的（h)able；最初源自拉丁语的habilis，意为便利的，适合保持的。
- allowed at liberty (to) authorized available eligible fit free permitted prepared ready willing accomplished adept capable clever competent effective efficient experienced expert gifted handy intelligent masterly practised proficient qualified skilful skilled strong talented trained
- ABLE:Association for Biology Laboratory Education生物实验室教育协会
- ABLE:Airborne Laser Experiment机载激光实验
- ABLE:Access to Better Learning and Education (Florida tuition assistance program)获得更好的学习和教育(弗罗里达州的学费援助项目)
- able:Abel（1802～1829）生於 Frindoe，卒於 Froland，挪威数学家。以证明五次方程式没有根式解名於世，他所构思的椭圆函数论，是十九世纪最重要的数学主题之一。他与 Galois 的英才…