- n. 能力；才能
- [S]能力 the fact that sb/sth is able to do sth; capacity or power to do sth physical or mental
- [C][U]聪明; 智慧; 智力; 技能 a level of skill or intelligence; a level of skill at doing sth
the quality of being able to perform; a quality that permits or facilitates achievement or accomplishment
possession of the qualities (especially mental qualities) required to do something or get something done;
"danger heightened his powers of discrimination"
- This is a task well within your ability.
- She has the ability to keep calm in an emergency.
- He is a man of great executive ability.
- The boy shows remarkable ability at math.
- She has great ability at playing the piano.
- He shows exceptional ability in solving problems.
- His ability falls short.
- His ability is limited.
- Musical ability often shows itself early in life.
- The ability to be clearly heard is extremely important for newsreaders.
- His abilities were useful rather than splendid.
- Fox's abilities were soon recognized.
- The acting abilities of both were well-known.
- Natural abilities are like natural plants that need pruning by study.
- The doctors say that his thinking abilities and memory have returned.
- Almost everyone has some musical ability.
- He has listening, speaking, reading, and writing abilities.
- He had the all-round ability as a director.
- He has great abilities as a general.
- Everyone has a chance to develop his natural abilities.
- They never had a chance to develop their abilities.
- We appreciate his oratorical ability.
- Everyone admired his abilities.
- His job really fits his abilities.
- His ambition outran his ability.
- You must place your abilities at the service of the people.
- He should use his abilities to help others.
- His condition battles the diagnostic abilities of medical men.
- This task is altogether beyond my ability.
- By sheer ability and force of character he has acquired the present position.
- His speedy promotion is from sheer ability.
- Our courses cater for different levels of ability.
- I have great respect for his ability and integrity as a journalist.
- He is wanting in organizing ability.
- We believed in the ability of government to ensure social justice.
- He doesn't have an ounce of ability.
- I taught a wide range of abilities.
- There was a high level of ability among the school leavers.
- His failure was not due to lack of ability.
- A woman of her ability will easily find a job.
- Someone of her ability is bound to succeed.
- He is a man of many abilities.
- He is a man of great ability.
- He is a man of great physical ability.
- Gladstone was a politician of great ability.
- The school does nothing for children of high ability.
- He is a man of remarkable musical ability.
- He was a man of extraordinary abilities.
- I do not know of any man of exceptional ability.
- Mr. Sapir is a surgeon of undoubted ability.
- They found her work more suited to her abilities.
- He speaks English with some ability.
- A man with your ability should be able to do this job well.
- She exhibited exceptional ability at high-energy physics.
- Their ability at pingpong is world-renowned.
- The new manager shows considerable ability for organization.
- He doubted my ability for work.
- She has no ability in〔for〕 that kind of work.
- He showed rare ability in this direction.
- He displayed more than average ability in business.
- He has the ability to do the work.
- He has the ability to express himself on paper.
- She has the ability to speak four languages.
- She has the ability to speak English fluently.
- He has the ability to predict future events.
- The writer has the ability to interest readers.
- Both players demonstrated their ability to hit the ball hard.
- I seem to have lost my ability to attract clients.
- What I need is a camera which has the ability to focus automatically.
- The system has the ability to run more than one program at the same time.
- The ability to use a language can be acquired by the act of using the language.
- I doubt his ability to do the job.
- I do not doubt your ability to analyse and solve problems.
- She has demonstrated a remarkable ability to get things done.
- She lost the ability to walk after her car accident.
- Tiredness can seriously impair your ability to drive.
- You have the ability to sue them for the damages done.
- This enterprise has the ability to independently bear civil liability.
- The government has the ability to curb the overall price level.
- He showed his ability in drawing.
- He has outstanding abilities in making money.
- He lacked ability in reasoning.
- She has great ability in teaching English.
- This is called ability grouping.
- It is much more difficult to teach a mixed-ability class.
- to the best of one's ability
尽自己最大努力using all one's ability; as well as one can
- acquire ability 习得能力
- appreciate ability 赏识才干
- assess ability 评估能力
- conceal one's ability 不显露能力
- cultivate one's ability 培养自己的能力
- demonstrate ability 显露能力
- develop one's ability 提高自己的能力
- depreciate sb's ability 贬抑某人的能力
- discover sb's ability 发现某人的能力
- display one's ability 表现才能
- distrust sb's ability 不相信某人的能力
- doubt ability 怀疑能力
- enhance ability 增强能力
- estimate ability 评价能力
- evince ability 表明能力
- exhibit ability 展示能力
- have ability 有能力
- have both ability and moral integrity 德才兼备
- hide ability 不显露能力
- improve one's ability 提高能力
- increase one's ability 增强能力
- lack ability 缺乏能力
- lose ability 失去能力
- measure sb's ability 衡量某人的才能
- misuse ability 滥用能力
- overrate sb's ability 高估某人的能力
- overestimate sb's ability 高估某人的能力
- possess ability 具有能力
- prostitute one's ability 滥用能力
- recognize sb's ability 认可能力
- show ability 显现能力
- test ability 检测能力
- use ability 运用能力
- weigh ability 估量能力
- abstract ability 抽象能力
- academic ability 学术能力
- administrative ability 行政管理能力
- all-round ability 多方面的才能
- amazing ability 惊人的能力
- artistic ability 艺术才能
- associative ability 联想能力
- athletic ability 运动能力
- average ability 一般能力，中等的能力
- climbing ability （飞机的）爬升能力
- cognitive ability 认知能力
- communicative ability 交际能力
- comparative ability 相比较而言的能力
- conceptual ability 概念能力
- concrete ability 具体能力
- considerable ability 非凡的才能
- contingent ability 应变能力
- crafty ability 巧妙的能力
- creative ability 创造性才能
- debt-paying ability 偿债能力
- diplomatic ability 外交才干
- distinguished ability 出众的能力
- dodging ability 规避能力
- dyeing ability 着色力
- educative ability 教育能力
- entrepreneurial ability 企业家能力
- exceptional ability 杰出的才能
- extraordinary ability 超凡的才能
- financial ability 财力
- general ability 普通能力
- great ability 高强的本领,雄才
- high ability 能力强
- imaginative ability 想象力
- inherent ability 固有的能力
- innate ability 天赋的才干
- intellectual ability 智力,智能
- inventive ability 发明创造的才能
- latent ability 潜能
- limited ability 有限的能力
- linguistic ability 语言能力
- low ability 能力低
- manifold abilities 多方面的才能
- manipulative-mechanical ability 操作机械的能力
- marginal ability 勉强合格的能力
- mathematical ability 数学能力
- mental ability 心智能力
- mixed ability 各不相同的能力
- musical ability 音乐才能
- natural ability 天生的能力
- oratorical ability 口才
- organizational ability 组织能力
- organizing ability 组织能力
- outstanding ability 卓越的才干
- peculiar ability 特殊的能力
- pecuniary ability 财力
- penetrating ability 突防能力，突破能力
- physical ability 体能
- potential ability 潜力
- practical ability 实践能力
- primary ability 主要能力
- productive ability 生产力
- professional ability 业务能力
- proven ability 已证实的才能
- psychomotor ability 心理动作动力
- quicksilver ability 无孔不入的穿插能力
- rare ability 罕见的才能
- remarkable ability 非凡的才干
- roll-taking ability 角色扮演能力
- special ability 特殊才能
- striking ability 惊人的才能
- substantial ability 卓越的能力
- superior ability 卓越的能力
- technical ability 技术的能力
- uncanny ability 杰出的能力
- unusual ability 非凡的能力
- acting ability 表演才能
- aural comprehension ability 听力理解能力
- brush ability 作画性能
- business ability 商业才干
- cancellation ability 划消能力，注销能力
- dye ability 染色力
- language ability 语言能力
- leadership ability 领导能力
- learning ability 学习能力
- listening ability 听力
- literary ability 文字能力
- market ability 适销性
- profit ability 收益能力
- range ability 活动半径；远航力；最大射程
- reading ability 阅读能力
- speaking ability 会话能力
- tax ability 纳税能力
- teaching ability 教学能力
- writing ability 写作能力
- ability grouping 能力分组；因材施教
- according to one's ability 根据自己的能力
- beyond one's ability 超出某人的能力
- in ability 在能力方面
- a level of ability 能力水平
- a range of ability/abilities 能力的高低范围
- an ounce of ability 少许才能
- man of ability 能干的人
- person of great ability 具有雄才大略的人
Dryden is distinguished..by his poetic ability.出自： T. S. Eliot
Cowardice..is..a lack of ability to suspend the functioning of the imagination.出自： E. Hemingway
- 表示“在某方面有能力”时ability可接介词in, at, for等；表示“做某事的能力”时可接动词不定式,也可接“in+动名词”,但不接“of+动名词”。表示“有能力的”，可说ability of。
- ability to do it前通常有限定词，即可以说an ability to do it,也可以说the ability to do it,还可以说sb's ability to do it。注意这种结构中的动词不定式不可用于被动语态。
- 单用时，通常指智力，如great ability；
- ability to do it前经常用the/an。
- ability, capability，capacity，talent，genius，ingenuity
- 3.ability和talent主要用于人；capability几乎专用于人; capacity可以用于人,也可以用于物。
- 4.ability后常接介词at, in, for或动词不定式; capability后常接介词of, for; talent后常接介词for。
- He has ability to do the work, but he's lazy and won't do it. 他有能力做这工作，但他太懒而不愿做。
- This room has a seating capacity of 60 people. 这间屋子可以坐下60人。
- This task is far beyond the capacity of him. 这项工作远非他的能力所及。
- It is quite above his capabilities. 这完全是他所不能胜任的。
- His literary talents are inherited by two of his sons. 他的两个儿子继承了他的文学天才。
- The teacher detected signs of genius of that boy. 老师发现那个孩子有天才。
- the ability to weep 泪腺正常，有哭泣的能力
- the capacity for tears 因悲哀而哭泣，对悲哀的敏感和反应
- the ability to work 身强力壮或受过训练，能工作
- the capacity for work 在任何场合都能尽力工作的志愿和倾向
- Composing music is beyond his ability. 他缺少作曲能力。
- Composing music is beyond his abilities. 他有多方面才能，只是缺少作曲能力。
- ☆ 14世纪晚期进入英语，直接源自古法语的ablete，意为擅长处理某事；最初源自拉丁语的habilis，意为擅长的，顺手的。