fear resulting from the awareness of danger
a device that signals the occurrence of some undesirable event
an automatic signal (usually a sound) warning of danger
a clock that wakes a sleeper at some preset time
fill with apprehension or alarm; cause to be unpleasantly surprised
warn or arouse to a sense of danger or call to a state of preparedness
- There is a vein of melancholy in his character.
- There was a long lag in forwarding mail to us.
- A bowl of hot chicken soup is good for you.
- A cloud is a mass of vapor in the sky.
- A country must have the will to repel any invader.
- A fire was burning in the grate.