national capital of Kiribati
battles in World War II in the Pacific (November 1943); United States Marines took the islands from the Japanese after bitter fighting
- Bairiki, on Tarawa atoll, is the administrative center.
- With Tarawa eliminated, the way was clear for attack on the Marshall Group.
- Bairiki, on Tarawa atoll, is the administrative center.Population,56, 213.
- Tarawa claims,along with the neighboring nation of Tuvalu,that it faces extinction should global warming lead to any sea level rise.
- Radio Kiribati reported that many parts of Tarawa were flooded and causeways linking the islets were covered with seawater.
- Kiribati's capital island of Tarawa,which is seldom more than tens of yards wide at its widest,is home to around 60,000 people.