- Can Maratha be at home this evening?
- In 1741, the Maratha general Raghuji laid siege to the French-held town of Pondicherry.
- Unlike the foreign (in origin) Mughals, the Maratha rulers are Indian princes and kings.
- Founded in the 18th century by a Gond prince, it became the capital of members of the Maratha confederacy.
- The Maratha Empire or Confederacy was born in violence, as the result of the successful overthrow of Mughal rule less than a generation ago.
- AS THE warrior king who defeated the Mughals and founded the Maratha empire of Western India in the 17th century, Shivaji Bhosle is remembered as a tactical genius as well as a benevolent ruler.