- But Hastert had claimed he only learned about the messages last week.
- Congressman Thomas Reno says he told House Speaker Dennis Hastert months ago about concerns that Congressman Mark Foley sent inappropriate messages to a teenage boy.
- House Speaker Dennis Hastert and Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi issued a rare joint statement supporting him.
- One leaked poll suggests that, if Mr Hastert stays on, the Republicans could lose 50 seats in the House.
- President Bush and House Speaker Dennis Hastert to campaign together on behalf of two Illinois Republicans in close races.
- Had Speaker Hastert or anyone else known, Boehner said, they would have moved to expel Foley immediately and turn him over to authorities.